Lesley Ellis School, Arlington, MA
Lesley Ellis Schol
Part time, 50% position
(Monday 12:30-3:15, Tuesday 9-3, Wednesday 10:30-3:00, Friday 9:30-noon)
Start Date: February 1, 2023
Independent elementary/middle school seeks candidates with a strong commitment to, and passion for, maker education. Candidates should be able to foster and maintain student engagement. We are looking for an individual who will bring expertise and enthusiasm to teaching, have the desire to work closely with colleagues to ensure an engaging and positive experience, and have a strong commitment to an anti-bias approach.
Respecting and embracing differences has been at the core of a Lesley Ellis education since the school’s early days. Our anti-bias curriculum is rooted in a developmental model of learning that engages children’s innate desire to observe, question, consider, and eventually think deeply about complex interpersonal and societal issues. In 2005, we received the Leading Edge Award for Equity and Justice from the National Association of Independent Schools, and we continue to learn and work against systems of injustice, including racism, by practicing behavior that demonstrates appreciation for multiple perspectives and engaging in conversations and actions that confront bias at all developmental levels.
- Develop age-appropriate MakerSpace STEM related activities for students;
- Facilitate classes in the areas of making, tinkering, innovation, problem-based learning, and design thinking;
- Maintain the machines, tools, and materials of the Makerspace;
- Work collaboratively with other faculty members;
- Ensure the safety procedures and the code of conduct for the space are observed and adhered to;
- Establishing relationships with all students that are based on respect for individual learning styles, developmental stages and temperaments;
- Demonstrate a respect for diversity among faculty and students; promote an environment which values diversity and an anti-bias curriculum.
- Two – three years experience with students grades K – 8
- Bachelor’s degree, preferred
- Commitment to a developmental and anti-bias education
School year position. Competitive salary.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to:
Deanne Benson, Head of School at email@example.com
Lesley Ellis is an equal opportunity employer.