Saint Joseph Prep, Boston, MA
Saint Joseph Prep, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston, seeks an experienced, dynamic, and engaging Athletic Director to lead and oversee the Athletic Program of the School. The Athletic Director works closely with the School’s Administration and the School’s Faculty and Staff to ensure a high-quality, well-organized, effective, and competitive athletic program. The ideal candidate will be adept at working with adolescents in a secondary school setting with a diverse population and will support the school’s mission of educating the whole person. This is a twelve-month, full-time position reporting to the Head of School.
About Saint Joseph Prep
Saint Joseph Prep’s culture is defined by Academic Excellence, Authentic Community, Meaningful Engagement, and Dynamic Innovation. These pillars are at the heart of all that we do to provide students with an exceptional high school experience that not only prepares them for success in college but also develops them into courageous, compassionate leaders. A community of mutual respect and reconciliation, Saint Joseph Prep is a diverse, inclusive family centered on lived Christian values. Saint Joseph Prep offers an extensive athletic program, vibrant extra-curricular and service opportunities, small class sizes, an Academic Enrichment Center, Chapel Speaking and Advisor Programs, and individualized college counseling.
- Ensure the athletic program reflects and fully supports SJP’s mission and values.
- Initiates the recruitment and selection of all coaches and ensures they are a well suited to support the school’s mission. Supervises and evaluates coaching staff for all sports.
- Schedules all high school athletic contests, issues contracts for the contest, and maintains the proper and necessary records.
- Manages all permit requests, facility rentals, and maintenance for all athletic facilities.
- Ensures officials are scheduled and contracts are issued for all high school contests. Maintains an active file of officials under contract and works with the Business Manager to ensure officials are paid.
- Supervises high school athletic contests and acts as the host to officials and visiting schools. Oversees the supervision of contest employees and volunteers who work the athletic event. Arranges for personnel to supervise contests as needed.
- Prepares and administers a detailed operating budget for the athletic program, which is submitted to the Business Manager.
- Orders all equipment and maintains a current inventory of all athletic equipment.
- Advises and ensures all coaches conform with Board, MIAA, league policies and regulations, and state and federal laws (CORI, fingerprinting, etc.); attends league and district meetings; ensures all coaches have successfully completed required in-service programs. Working closely with the Catholic Central League to promote a positive athletic culture.
- Supervises and takes responsibility for preparation for home contests.
- Arranges transportation for all home and away high school contests.
- Plans and orchestrates seasonal athletic awards ceremonies.
- Works closely with the School’s Assistant Head of School for Community Life to promote a culture of leadership, service, and integrity.
- Works closely with the School’s Assistant Head of School for Academics to ensure the academic success of all student-athletes.
- Supervises the preparation of and verifies all academic and community life athletic eligibility lists, and communicates effectively with parents in this regard.
- Works with the Director of Marketing and Communications to maintain the athletics page on the School’s website.
- Oversees the Athletic Leadership Council with the goal of developing young leaders at SJP.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor Degree in related field with 2+ years of experience as an Athletic Director (preferred)
- Ability to work effectively with Administration, Faculty, and Staff to support the student-athlete and represent the school with grace, sportsmanship, and professionalism.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple (often changing) schedules.
- Ability to support the School’s academic program and community life, putting scholarship first for the student-athlete, and prioritizing the Mission.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, regularly, and appropriately with parents/guardians, coaches, and faculty/staff.
- Ability to establish and share clear, understandable policies regarding tryouts, practices, expectations, playing time, etc.
- Leadership, empathetic listening, and collaboration skills are essential. Must be a positive, enthusiastic voice for the school on campus, in the league, and throughout the community.
- Commitment to Catholic education in the city of Boston and fostering the school’s Catholic identity through the athletic program.
- Saint Joseph Prep seeks candidates who will contribute to and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices.
Requires some night and weekend work
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and list of professional references to Carol Woolston, the Assistant Head of School for Community Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org