The Advent School, Boston, MA
The Advent School seeks a Science Teacher who brings intelligence, creativity, and knowledge of the teaching of science to the school community.
Responsibilities & Duties
Science teachers at Advent teach in both the science lab and within an integrated framework, in which they collaborate with the classroom teachers and other Specialists. Advent takes pride in its thematic curriculum, an integrated course of study based on the School’s mission of social justice. Science teachers design their curricula by interweaving Next Generation Science Standards with grade-level themes and contemporary world issues. Teachers communicate regularly with families about the curriculum and partner with them regarding their child’s progress.
Professional Development is the cornerstone of maintaining the highest standards of education that we provide at The Advent School. In that regard, each teacher is expected to engage in professional dialogue as a teacher/learner and researcher.
Required Skills & Characteristics
The Advent School is a good fit for professionals who believe in the School’s mission of education for equity and social justice.
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of the Reggio Emilia approach and previous experience co-teaching thematic or project-based units and differentiating instruction, in addition to being:
- An advocate for anti-bias teaching, both for children and adults
- A lifelong learner that is resourceful, responsible, and collaborative
- An enthusiastic, caring practitioner who believes that their students can change the world
- A strong writer, comfortable communicating with families and colleagues
In addition, qualifications should include:
- BA/BS degree in Science or Science Education minimum.
- 3+ years of independent/public school teaching or related experience.
- An advanced degree is preferred.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter and the names of three references to Gretchen Vice, Dean of Faculty, firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please include your connection to the mission of The Advent School.