Middle School Music Teacher
Nashoba Brooks School, Concord, MA
Middle School Music Teacher
Nashoba Brooks School is an independent school for all genders, age 3-Grade 3; girls, Grades 4-8. The school is committed to personal excellence in academics, athletics, and the arts within its mission of preparing students for “…a life of continuous learning, accomplishment, and leadership in a diverse and changing world.” At Nashoba Brooks, we believe that diversity enriches and strengthens community and challenges individuals to become agents of change in creating a more fair and equitable world.
Nashoba Brooks School educates children for a life of continuous learning, accomplishment, and leadership in a diverse and changing world. The School nurtures students’ growth and character, while fostering the development of each child’s personal excellence in academics, athletics, and the arts.
Nashoba Brooks seeks a full-time Middle School music teacher for the 2022-2023 academic year. This is a 10-month position that reports directly to the assistant head of middle school. The candidate should interact easily with a wide range of students and possess a strong desire to work as part of a collaborative team in a dynamic school committed to creating inspired education through innovation, inclusivity, and impact.
The middle school music teacher will:
- Develop and implement curriculum, daily lesson plans, and assessments for students.
- Work closely with teachers and administrative employees to support the educational, social and emotional development of students.
- Communicate proactively and effectively with students and parents, including writing individualized student reports, and participating in parent/teacher conferences.
- Participate as an active member of teaching teams to support curriculum development and integration.
- Work collaboratively with teaching team members, the director of academic support, and School counselor to identify and address student learning needs.
- Model excellent problem solving and project management skills with a commitment to viewing challenges as problems that can be solved rather than obstacles that cannot be overcome.
- Appropriately and effectively integrate technology and assessments into instruction to enhance student learning.
- Support effective communication and collaboration within the Middle School team.
Strong candidates will demonstrate:
- Excellence in integrated curriculum development, lesson planning, technology integration, and formative use of student assessments for middle school students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, which include: an ability to write detailed comments on students’ progress reports, including the ability to communicate directly, effectively, respectfully and constructively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- An ability to effectively differentiate curriculum to teach students with diverse learning styles.
- Proactive teacher-parent interaction and communication.
- A proven track record of efficient project management and problem-solving skills with the ability to initiate and complete multiple tasks, independently or collaboratively, as required.
- An ability to approach challenges with energy, creativity, and flexibility in both independent and collaborative working situations.
- Strong vocal pedagogy skills with an understanding of girls’ voices in Grades 4-8.
- Excellence in providing piano accompaniment for students in preschool through Grade 8.
- Strong choral conducting skills and ability to successfully collaborate with colleagues.
- Training in at least one of the dominant music pedagogies (Kodaly, Orff, Project Zero, Choral Music Education, etc.).
- Ability to lead instrumental ensembles.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ experience teaching music to middle school students.
- Knowledge of social, emotional, intellectual, and physical development of middle school students.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Demonstrated ability to manage new initiatives from concept to completion.
- Commitment to supporting School community and culture through additional duties such as student activities, chaperoning, planning of community events, etc.
The successful candidate will model professionalism, curiosity, responsibility, creativity and respect for all persons, as well as a demonstrated commitment to advancing the School’s core values of integrity, collaboration, inclusivity, empathy, and resilience.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé, and three references to:
Kaitlyn McHugh, Assistant Head of Middle School