Lower School Math Teacher
Acera School, Winchester, MA
Lower School Math Teacher
Acera is looking for experienced math teachers to lead high-engagement Kindergarten through grade 4 mathematics courses for gifted math students. Bring your highly collaborative spirit and deep commitment to high-engagement learning and join our school community!
We envision a world in which schools engage students in meaningful learning, in which teachers are freed as entrepreneurs in their classrooms, and in which students can become the best version of themselves, given each students’ unique capacities, needs, and passions. The Acera School day program provides students with unbounded access to learning, offering high-capacity students opportunity according to their ability, not age. Acera’s enrichment programs (after school, summer, and vacation week camps) are open to the public, and our Education Innovation (EI) efforts are actively engaged in public school projects to support educational change. We also partner with organizations beyond our walls, creating programs rich in sciences, technology, engineering, creativity, and the arts. We operate both as a lab school and a microcosm of what is possible for other schools. We seek to grow students’ emotional intelligence and develop the next generation of innovators, leaders, and creative thinkers who can make a positive impact in the world.
Learn more about how we teach at www.aceraschool.org/how-we-teach.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
A core part of Acera’s program is our ability and readiness-based math block model. We initiate each school year with a snapshot assessment experience for every student, ensuring that students are placed in classes based upon their ability without limits due to curricula or age.
We seek to hire math educators to lead at least one multi-age class of gifted lower school students. We are looking for someone who can challenge students and get them to approach math with joy, logic, and creativity. These are students who are learning above grade level, which means there is freedom to include enrichment topics and topics outside of the standard curriculum. You should provide opportunities to creatively tackle new problems, explore patterns, and develop numeracy.
We do not assign grades at Acera; instead, we give frequent formative feedback in class, write student comments for progress reports, and communicate regularly with families. Progress reports give students and their families insights into mastery level as well as learning styles.
For full-time, school-year candidates: teach one section of math, one to two elective courses, be an individual passion projects mentor, and other duties as part of the school community.
For part-time, school-year candidates: teach one section of math, with the opportunity to lead additional courses.
- Compelling personal or professional experience with mathematics.
- Willingness to view mathematical concepts through a lens of joy and play and not just as a series of algorithms to be memorized.
- Passion, high energy, and a commitment to hands-on, project-based learning, with a willingness to explore mathematical ideas with young minds.
- Experience in engaging learners with diverse profiles (including giftedness, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, anxiety) and through diverse learning methods (visual/spatial supports, executive functioning supports, hands-on manipulatives, games, simulations, debates, discussions, etc.).
Anticipated Start Date
Start date as desired, by August 29, 2022.
Salary & Benefits
- Paid federal/state holidays plus school-year breaks.
- Health, dental and vision benefits available, SIMPLE IRA.
- Free after-school and summer programs for children of eligible employees.
- Prolonged periods standing and walking throughout school, classroom, campus.
- Must be able to assist students who have physical difficulties.
- Must be able to kneel, sit, stand, crawl, push, and pull to assist and teach children throughout the day.
- Must be able to traverse the space and adjust one’s tone and height, by bending or leaning, in order to teach each child.
- Prolonged periods sitting and working on computer to complete necessary planning, paperwork, etc
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Acera is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Conditions of Offer
You must provide documentation of a completed COVID vaccination series.
All offers of employment are contingent upon CORI, SORI, and fingerprint-based background checks, as required by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), our company is required to verify the identity and work authorization of all newly hired employees. Therefore, if you accept this position, you will be required to complete a Form I-9 upon hire. Within 3 days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation (as noted on the Form I-9) of your identity and work authorization.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- cover letter
- personal statement of educational philosophy that includes a description of your classroom management/discipline beliefs