Executive Assistant to the Head of School
Thayer Academy, Braintree, MA
Thayer Academy is a coeducational day school for grades 5-12, located in Braintree, Massachusetts, just south of Boston. Founded in 1877, Thayer seeks students from all backgrounds and offers an environment in which each student is affirmed, supported, and challenged to take on responsibilities, pursue ambitions, and strive for achievements. The school’s program combines rich tradition with 21st-century innovation. Here, students form lifelong relationships with one another and with inspiring teachers who care deeply about their personal growth and academic success.
The Executive Assistant to the Head of School provides high-level administrative support organizing, scheduling, coordinating, researching, and compiling information for the Head of School. The position requires a high level of professionalism, diplomacy, patience, and confidentiality, as well as the ability to handle multiple tasks at once with flexibility and agility. This person needs to consistently communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing, with all constituencies and needs to be able to effectively collaborate with colleagues across all areas of the school. The Executive Assistant to the Head of School needs to be a trusted partner to the head, maintaining confidentiality around highly sensitive information and always exhibiting the highest levels of integrity.
- Understand and anticipate the Head of School’s needs regarding preparation for and scheduling of all activities and meetings.
- Organize and maintain the Head of School’s calendar. Set up meetings for the Head of School with various constituencies: students, parents/guardians, administrators, faculty, trustees, alumni/ae, and other educational professionals.
- Prepare reports, mailings, internal documents, and correspondence. Maintain digital files of all correspondence from the Head’s office.
- Support logistical arrangements and orchestration of all meetings and travel both domestically and internationally.
- Coordinate agendas and collaborate with other school offices for a range of events during the school year, including opening of school, all-school meetings, and Commencement.
- Act as liaison to the Board of Trustees. Oversee and coordinate materials, logistics, and support for all meetings, activities, and initiatives for the Board, including coordination of Trustee board and committee meetings. Take and record minutes at Board meeting general sessions.
- Work with the Head of School and Business Office to manage the annual faculty and staff appointment letter process.
- Work closely with the Director of Food Services on menu selection for meetings and other events. Communicate and work closely with faculty, administrators, the Thayer Academy Parent Association, and members of all staff departments.
- Provide administrative support to select committees at the direction of the Head of School.
Qualifications and Preferred Competencies
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent is required, with at least five years of administrative support experience, preferably with some experience in an executive office.
In addition, the Executive Assistant to the Head of School will demonstrate proficiency in the following competencies:
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to make independent decisions, work under pressure, multitask, and see assignments through completion
- Comfortable working with a wide range of constituencies
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- High attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing, proofreading, and presentation development
- Executive calendar management
- Meeting and event management experience
- Discretion working with confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries with regard to the handling of privileged information
- Commitment to contributing positively to the overall morale of those within the school and to being a welcoming presence for many campus visitors
- Ability to work an occasional evening, weekend, or early morning
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite – Google Calendar, Google Docs, and Google Sheets, and working knowledge of databases.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
- Ability to lift/move 10 lbs. and occasionally lift/move 30 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities including close vision.
- Regularly required to stand: walk: sit and reach with hands and arms.
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. The Academy hours of operation are typically M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Some occasional evenings or weekends may be required.
Please send your Cover Letter, Resume, and 3 References with phone and email contact information to Head of School Search @ HR@thayer.org