Carrabassett Valley Academy, Carrabassett Valley, ME
Job Title: English Teacher
Department: Humanities Department at Carrabassett Valley Academy
Reports to: Karen Lanoue-Egan
Carrabassett Valley Academy (CVA) has an open position in the Humanities Department and is seeking an English Teacher for the 2022-23 school year. This position would involve teaching high school level English and potentially additional hours tutoring in our Academic Success Program and/or teaching a humanities elective. The ideal candidate would have experience teaching grades 9-11 English at the college preparatory and honors levels. Classes range in size from 6-12 students. Teaching at CVA allows for the freedom to design and develop the current curriculum to best serve the needs of the student-athletes that learn on-the-go during training and competitions.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or Karen Lanoue-Egan, Carrabassett Valley Academy, 3197 Carrabassett Drive, Carrabassett Valley, ME 04947.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach up to 5 sections: 4 sections of English (2 preps) and 1 section of an elective course in the Humanities Department for the 2022-2023 school year; approximately 15-20 in-class hours per week
- Provide prompt grading and feedback for students
- Provide asynchronous travel assignments and feedback for students when out of the classroom for athletic training and competitions
- Student advisor
- Attend weekly teacher meetings, school meetings, and faculty meetings
- Timely communication with parents, students, and co-workers
- Occasional office hours set by the teacher to meet with students needing extra help
- Perform requisite number of weekday and weekend dormitory duties required of all faculty and staff
- Tap into a student’s passion for skiing/snowboarding, love of the outdoors, and willingness to work hard to help each student achieve his/her/their personal best
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English or education preferred
- Experience teaching college preparatory high school English
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Health Insurance, STD, LTD, Voluntary Accident, Dental and Vision Insurance for employees working 6+months of the year
- Sugarloaf Alpine and Nordic Season Pass for all employees
- Meals in Campus Dining Commons open to employees and their families during the school year
- On-campus housing, pending availability
- Access to endless recreation opportunities of the Carrabassett Valley including skiing, hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, fishing and more
Carrabassett Valley is home to 4,000-foot Sugarloaf Mountain Resort, Maine’s largest ski area. The resort offers 162 skiing and snowboarding trails, terrain parks, and an Olympian-designed Cross course. In the winter months, Carrabassett Valley also offers over 80 miles of groomed trails connecting four backcountry eco-lodges for Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, and fat biking, open to the public at no charge. In warmer weather, grab a round at Sugarloaf’s renowned golf or enjoy the nearly 100 miles of mountain bike trails including over 20 miles of newly-constructed, purpose-built single-track for all abilities. With a short ride to nearby Flagstaff Lake, the 740-mile Northern Forest Canoe Trail, or any of the surrounding ponds and streams in the region, you can enjoy boating, canoeing, kayaking, and paddle boarding opportunities. Feel like hiking? Access to the Appalachian Trail is right out our front door! Carrabassett Valley has it all!
Carrabassett Valley Academy
Carrabassett Valley Academy (CVA) is an independent, college-preparatory boarding/day school for 7th grade to post-graduate students, located at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain. The mission of CVA is to foster focused, individual student-athlete development by providing the optimum balance between college preparatory academics, responsible community living, and world-class athletic training in competitive skiing and snowboarding. CVA is more than a school; it is a way of life that is shaped by the ruggedness of the terrain and environment. We create a life-changing experience not found elsewhere, an experience that creates growth, opportunity, and choices. To learn more about our unique school, visit our website at www.gocva.com.