Early Childhood Lead Teacher
The Chestnut Hill School, Chestnut Hill, MA
Position Summary: The Lead Teacher is responsible for planning, implementing curriculum and; assessing the educational development of their students; communicating with families; and supporting the mission of the school.
The Lead Teacher will:
- In collaboration with a co-teacher, plan and implement a well-balanced curriculum which includes daily activities designed to meet the needs of children consistent with early childhood theory and practice.
- Possess and utilize knowledge of best practices in early childhood development, education, and diversity, equity and inclusion pedagogy to plan and execute engaging instruction.
- Teach early math and literacy skills using developmentally appropriate, research-based curriculum.
- Incorporate elements of inquiry and/or project-based learning into the curriculum.
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of our students.
- Incorporate technology into the classroom in a meaningful and developmentally appropriate way.
- Utilize a variety of instructional techniques to meet student needs.
- Utilize observation and documentation to assess and monitor growth in all curriculum areas.
- Develop and administer developmentally appropriate assessments to evaluate student progress toward learning objectives.
- Attend to the social and emotional development of individual students and the class as a whole.
- Maintain a classroom environment that is conducive to student learning and safety.
- Communicate regularly with families concerning student progress and information about academic programming and classroom events.
- Plan and conduct parent-teacher conferences.
- Write narrative progress reports to record and communicate students’ progress.
- Support and supervise classroom interns or associate teachers, as applicable.
- Manage classroom administrative tasks, including taking daily attendance and ordering materials.
- Perform dismissal, lunch, and recess duties as assigned.
- Plan field trips and other activities to enrich the educational experience.
- Attend and contribute to scheduled staff meetings.
- Participate in all-school activities, such as Admissions events, that take place outside of regular work hours.
- Regularly update curriculum materials.
- Engage in regular professional development opportunities to ensure continual growth and renewal.
- Support the mission of the school by communicating effectively with staff and parents to future community spirit.
- Familiarity with the National Association of the Education of Young Children Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Work with learning specialists to identify students requiring differentiation and implementing accommodations as necessary
- Assume responsibility for other projects as assigned by the head of school or academic dean/dean of faculty.
- Master’s degree in education or related field
- Experience working with children in this age range
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse learning environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with project based learning preferred
Equity and inclusion – Employee lives the stated mission of the school, and values and respects diversity in all facets of school life. Employee promotes equity and inclusion in work with students, families, and colleagues.
Collaboration – In keeping with Chestnut Hill School’s commitment to a strong community, employee exemplifies cooperation and collaboration, demonstrates leadership when necessary, is a supportive team member when needed, and assists others to ensure deadlines and goals are met.
Communication – Employee exercises clear, constructive, and appropriate communication with students, colleagues and administration in written and verbal communication.
Critical observation and problem-solving – Employee shows ability to not only gather information but to also interpret, analyze, and suggest next steps based upon data. Employee assesses problems and utilizes all available resources to resolve challenges through proper channels.