Director of Finance and Operations
The Greenwood School, Putney, VT
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) will provide visionary direction for all financial and operational areas of the School, including but not limited to: budget development and reporting, financial projections, accounts payable and receivable, investments, and capital projects. This position oversees the Facilities, Dining Services and IT departments.
As a member of the School’s Leadership Team, the DFO works closely with the Head of School, other senior administrators, and the Board of Trustees to ensure fiscally responsible and mission-aligned decision-making. A strategic, collaborative and creative leader, the DFO guides the School in developing innovative approaches to institutional sustainability and operational excellence, and in realizing the goal of a flexible and sustainable organization.
Candidates should have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, with advanced degree in a related field strongly preferred; five years of financial leadership experience, with experience in an educational or non-profit organization strongly preferred.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a strategic leader, work cooperatively with senior administrators and Board members to advance the strategic goal of a flexible and sustainable organization
- Prepare the annual budget and monitor performance against financial targets
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations and School policies
- Participate in Board meetings and work closely with Board Finance, Buildings and Grounds, and Investment committees
- Process Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable using Quickbooks Desktop
- Administer medical, dental, vision, life, AD+D, LTD, and pension plans
- Process bi-weekly payroll
- Oversee the annual financial and 403b plan audits and filings of tax returns
- Maintain relationships with external parties including financial consultants, auditors, investment advisors, bank representatives, etc.
- Oversee Human Resources, and advocate for and implement consistent employment policies, adequate staffing levels, competitive compensation, and appropriate benefits programs for all School employees; collect, analyze, and present benchmarking data on an annual basis
- Engage positively and communicate effectively with families, donors, and volunteers
- Remain knowledgeable and current about trends in the independent school landscape, taking advantage of professional development opportunities whenever possible
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in finance or relevant field preferred
- Five years of financial leadership experience required
- Experience in senior management or governance-level leadership required, with proven success as a member of a collaborative team
- Experience in a school setting and/or non-profit organization desired
- Familiarity with key policies and parameters related to legal, risk management, and school safety management
- Demonstrated experience leading and working with a diverse population of students, colleagues, families, alumnae, and other stakeholders
- Excellent communication, listening, mediation and facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact positively and productively with all School departments as well as students, parents, and vendors
- Ability to problem-solve, think critically, develop creative solutions and implement them
- Strong collaboration skills with an ability to work with multiple teams to accomplish complementary and simultaneous goals for common purpose
- Strategic thinking, ability to balance day-to-day operations with big picture
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with the ability to manage time-sensitive projects
- Highest ethical standards, integrity, and judgment and ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information with utmost discretion
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 – $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
This position may be in person or remote as determined by the needs of the school.
All employee and students of The Greenwood School are required to have a COVID-19 immunization and booster shot, as appropriate, subject to required medical and religious exemptions.