Director of Development
Falmouth Academy, Falmouth, MA
Falmouth Academy seeks an experienced, accomplished development professional to join a dynamic, dedicated team of educators. An independent school serving students in grades 7-12, Falmouth Academy strives to be the standard for educational excellence in southern New England. Inspired by the teaching excellence of its faculty, the impressive professional accomplishments of its alumni, and a long-standing reputation for academic achievement, we prepare students to become lifelong learners and engaged and responsible citizens who are ready and eager to meet the challenges of the future.
The Director of Development is a member of the senior leadership team and reports to the Head of School. This person is the school’s chief fundraising strategist who works closely with the Head of School, the Board of Trustees, the development team, alumni, community members and volunteers to engage donors, build resources, and enhance the culture of philanthropy at Falmouth Academy. The Director of Development is responsible for designing and implementing multi-year giving, cultivation, stewardship and communications programs that optimize philanthropy in support of the school and its programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishing and executing forward-thinking development/advancement and strategic programs that optimally grow annual, major, and capital campaigns, as well as legacy/planned giving opportunities.
- Managing the $8M “Forward to Fifty” Comprehensive Campaign, launched in January 2023.
- Managing all aspects of fundraising at Falmouth Academy, including soliciting major and campaign donors and prospects, leading the annual giving program, guiding the capital campaign, preparing corporate and foundation proposals; overseeing prospect research, supporting and building the alumni association, staffing the Development and Committee on Trustees Board Committees, building public and community relations programs, and organizing special development and public outreach events.
- Overseeing school-wide communications and public outreach efforts including branding, magazine and newsletter production, social media, website development, community relations initiatives/events, and development- and admission-related collateral in collaboration with the advancement team.
- Strengthening relationships with alumni and further developing alumni programming.
- Cultivating and soliciting personally a portfolio of major/leadership donors.
- Managing and leading an office of three staff members: the Director of Alumni & Parent Relations, the Associate Director of Operations and Annual Giving, and the Director of Communications.
- Managing Development, Campaign, Special Event and Communications budgets.
- Supporting volunteer committees (Campaign Cabinet, Community Council, Trustee Committees as assigned, and others) by preparing agendas, minutes, presentations, reports, and briefings.
- Writing and/or editing all appeals, annual reports, VIP letters, Campaign brochures, magazine articles, etc.