Director of Auxiliary Programs
Cushing Academy, Ashburnham, MA
Cushing Academy has recently committed to the creation of this new leadership role as a strategic step towards the growth and improvement of its summer programs. While the school continues to operate longstanding and well-respected summer programs, it simultaneously recognizes the opportunity to develop and grow new programs to achieve untapped potential. The position will benefit from strong leadership support and regular participation in the school’s senior leadership team. The new Director of Auxiliary Programs will report to the Chief Financial Officer and work collaboratively across other departments of the school including the Business Office, Athletics, Marketing, and Admissions.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Auxiliary Programs is responsible for strategic planning, operations, market development, program design, promotion, budgeting, monitoring, and evaluation of all Cushing Academy Summer Session Programs. There is a unique opportunity for the Director to establish new programs to benefit the Cushing community and support the school’s mission.
Essential Functions and Key Objectives
Strategic Program Development
Build vibrant programs that achieve annual and long-term net revenue growth targets, support the school’s mission and program, and build Cushing Academy’s market exposure.
- Collaborate with school leadership, administration, and faculty to ensure all programs align with and support Cushing’s mission and philosophy
- Design, enhance, and expand program offerings that align with long-term strategic programs vision and financial objectives
- Continually explore innovative opportunities and strategic partnerships for leveraging the intellectual and physical assets of the school
- Continually explore innovative opportunities for supporting school admissions and building the school’s exposure in the independent boarding school market
- Annually seek and analyze input from participants and staff regarding the quality of their program experience
- Seek to identify partnerships that may enhance summer programing potential
Ensure that program participants have a safe and positive experience such that they return and/or recommend our programs to others.
- Oversee and manage all summer session programs and auxiliary services including but not limited to: camps (Day & Overnight) extended day programs, private lessons etc.
- Provide an appropriately safe, caring, and enriching environment for all program participants
- Establish routines, provide positive guidance, and enforce policies and procedures, including disciplinary policies, in accordance with Cushing’s stated values
- Provide ongoing training, supervision, support, and professional development of all faculty and staff of programs
- Develop and oversee all safety and health protocols in coordination with school risk management plan
- Collaborate with Facilities Department on campus rentals by creating policies, protocols and procedures for facilities usage
- Develop pricing, in coordination with the Chief Financial Officer, for all events and programs on Cushing’s campus beyond the regular school day and ensure all events and programs generate an appropriate margin
Ensure that the Programs’ financial performance meets or exceeds budgeted expectations.
- Prepare an annual budget covering all aspects of program revenues and expenses to ensure profitability
- Monitor revenues and expenses on a monthly basis, and in accordance with budgetary restrictions, for bottom line performance across all programs
- Provide the Business Office with all the information necessary to complete the financials in an accurate and timely manner
- Work with individual program directors to ensure profitability of their programs
- Establish appropriate compensation for all summer program employees in coordination with the Chief Financial Officer
Marketing, Communication, and Recruitment
Effectively promote the programs to achieve the enrollment and revenue targets.
- In coordination with the Director of Marketing & Communications, develop and implement a comprehensive marketing strategy for all programs that aligns with the school’s strategic branding initiatives
- Ensure that all programs have an effective and accurate internet presence including website, social media, and digital marketing that align with the school’s branding
- Plan and coordinate the publishing and advertising of program catalogues, brochures, and schedules
- Manage all public relations and marketing initiatives including open houses, mailers, brochures, camp fairs, and ad placement to promote and communicate the programs to prospective and enrolled participants
- Write and distribute regular communications among program constituencies that effectively provide updated information and a sense of community
- Serve as primary recruiter to all programs and manage the activities of others charged with recruitment
- Work closely with the Admissions Office to identify and follow-up with participants who have strong potential to convert to Cushing Academy student prospects
- As appropriate, accompany Admissions Office staff to regional marketing events and receptions
Administration and Operations
Ensure that the administration of the programs is efficient and effective.
- Oversee registration for all events and programs
- Ensure the programs database is accurate and comprehensive
- Prepare reports for, and communicate with, Cushing Academy leadership to ensure awareness of program performance
- Execute and oversee all contracts related to programs
- Ensure that all programs are in compliance with all applicable regulations of licensing and governing entities
Hire and manage to build a stable, effective, customer-focused team.
- In collaboration with the Human Resources and program directors:
- Recruit, hire, and train all Cushing auxiliary program employees
- Ensure that all necessary and required employment forms, including background checks, are completed and on file
- Coordinate and communicate payroll to the business office as needed
- Coordinate and conduct annual performance evaluations of all program’s personnel
- Participate in special assignments and projects as needed to improve school operations (i.e., housing, buildings and grounds, safety, accreditation, committees, etc.)
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer and or the Head of School.