Chief Financial Officer
North Yarmouth Academy, Yarmouth, ME
Chief Financial Officer 2024
North Yarmouth Academy (NYA) is an independent, college preparatory, coeducational day school serving 400 students in grades toddler through twelve, located in Maine. Established in 1814, our 20+ acre campus is located in the coastal town of Yarmouth, Maine just ten minutes from Portland. We are a traditional New England prep school with a campus dotted with brick buildings, a modern science center, playing fields, and an ice arena where the ice hockey teams compete in the Prep League (NEPSAC).
NYA is looking to hire a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The CFO will provide leadership, oversight, and stewardship for all aspects of NYA’s financial operations. The CFO will be a member of the Academy’s senior leadership team, report directly to the Head of School (HOS), work closely with the Board of Trustees (BOT), and support the long term strategic and financial planning for the institution. The CFO will ensure institutional integrity on fiscal matters by promoting best practices in finance. The CFO will also oversee facilities, maintenance, and school operations. The CFO will have the following major job responsibilities:
- Manage daily business office operations, business office personnel, and cash flow control through the organization.
- Compliance with formal financial reporting requirements and relationships with financial institutions.
- Oversight of financial records of the school and preparation of monthly reports for the HOS and BOT. Preparation of financial records for annual, independent audit.
- Support a long-term sustainable financial model and advance the financial stability of the Academy, the CFO will work closely with the HOS and BOT Finance Committee in the development of the annual budget. The CFO will manage oversight of the annual budget.
- CFO will manage and oversee employment benefits, personnel policies and other issues as it relates to human resources.
- Serve as a key, strategic team member with the Academy’s strategic initiatives and building projects.
- The Director of Facilities and Travis Roy Arena will report directly to the CFO and will collaborate on plans for deferred maintenance and daily facility needs.
- Dining Services Manager will report directly to the CFO and they will collaborate on matters as they relate to dining.
- Manage two other full-time business staff members.
North Yarmouth Academy believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of the Academy.
In addition to financial expertise, the successful candidate must possess exceptional interpersonal skills working with faculty, staff, and school families along with a spirit of collaboration with all school constituencies. Ideal candidates will possess at least five years of experience in a position of financial leadership, preferably in an educational and/or non-profit setting. Experience with capital projects is beneficial. A strong understanding of complex financial instruments and proven experience developing financial strategies that support strategic priorities are essential.
NYA does not discriminate based on gender, race, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, disabilities, or sexual orientation. We strive to be an inclusive learning community and encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on experience and a comprehensive benefits package including a tuition discount. Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to Todd Gochman firstname.lastname@example.org and Julia Sinton email@example.com with the subject line NYA – CFO. All inquiries will be confidential.