Esperanza Academy, Lawrence, MA
Title: Assistant Principal
Reports to: Principal
Status: Full-time, 12-month position
Under the general direction of the school principal, the assistant principal assists the principal in organizing and fostering a positive and safe environment that is conducive to meeting the needs of all students, staff and parents. Plays an integral role in the establishment and maintenance of our school climate that is conducive to learning. They will assist the school principal in the provision of direction, leadership, and day-to-day management of educational programs.
Responsibilities also include school safety, student attendance, student discipline, and community relations. The assistant principal acts in the capacity of the principal during the principal’s absence from the school.
About Esperanza Academy:
At Esperanza Academy, we are fortunate to serve our students, their families, and the community of Lawrence. We are a tuition-free independent middle school with a 12-year commitment to our students because we believe that everyone deserves the right to high-quality independent school education. We, as an academic community, emphasize racial and cultural identity affirmation, love of community, and restorative justice. By creating a culture of achievement in which academic success and self-discovery are paramount, we protect and nurture the innate confidence that each of our girls possesses.
- Supervise and lead After School Enrichment program
- Recruit and retain community partners (summer and enrichment programs)
- Manages student attendance.
- In partnership with the Principal manage a robust student leadership program
- Work closely with the parent association (Cafecitos) to ensure the integration of parent voices in our school community
- Support school leadership and staff in the collection and analysis of data to inform school goals and improve organizational performance, educator effectiveness, and student learning
- Support the Principal in monitoring the effectiveness of school programs and procedures
- Observe academic classrooms
- Co facilitate faculty retreat
- Co-facilitate weekly staff meetings
- Work in collaboration with Principal and Director of Literacy and Curriculum to ensure consistencies in school policies in and out of the classroom
- The Assistant Principal is responsible for supporting the day-to-day building administration and the safety and welfare of both students and staff. Ensures a safe, joyful and effective educational atmosphere.
- Maintains high visibility and accessibility in the school.
- Assign and keep records of Chromebooks /implements technology agreement
- Requisition supplies, textbooks, and equipment; check inventory; maintain records
- Supports the principal in conducting conferences on student and school issues with parents, students, and teachers
- Ensures that students are adequately supervised during non-instructional periods.
- An active member of SFST, Student Life Committee, and Cafecitos –
- Coordinates and facilitates PD for parents and faculty
- Coordinates use of school facilities for day-to-day activities and special events
- Implements the Esperanza’sStudent Handbook and works with the Principal to make revisions and recommendations when appropriate.
- Manages Jupiter
- Bachelor’s degree in the transferable field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Energized by ambiguity and solving complex problems via left and right brain thinking
- Experience with change management frameworks and internal communications
- Smart, bold but humble attitude to work collaboratively with fellow colleagues
- Interested Candidates must have strong written and verbal communication skills; scheduling (Google calendar); has outstanding organization and management skills; demonstrated ability to support and work in partnership with a high-energy leader(s) in a fast-paced work environment; demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and to work independently with little supervision.
- A welcoming and personable demeanor and can effectively communicate, manage emotions, and can engage effectively with others
- Appreciation of equity and diversity, and can demonstrate cultural competence and responsiveness—the ability to work well with students, families, and employees from different walks of life.
- Flexible, nimble thinker; thoughtful and efficient problem-solver; strong ability to look ahead and plan effectively, deftly anticipating and avoiding roadblocks.
- Three or more years of experience in a related field is preferred. Proficient in Google suite, MS Office Suite, and Zoom/video meeting software; experience with data management systems, such as student, sales, or donor CRM software, desirable.
COMPENSATION: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Esperanza Academy offers an attractive benefits package including 403(b), medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, and a comprehensive professional development program.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for three professional
references to Employment@esperanzaacademy.org