Milton Academy, Milton, MA
Summary of Position:
The primary responsibility of a lifeguard is to prevent drowning and other injuries from occurring. Candidates must be able to ensure patron safety by minimizing or eliminating potentially hazardous situations or behaviors. This person must be able to solve on-the-job problems using effective critical thinking and decision-making skills, as well as work with diverse populations. Lifeguards must be able to enforce pool policies as well as effectively communicate why policies are in place.
Lifeguard Job requirements and Responsibilities:
- Supervises aquatics activities and ensures that policies, guidelines, and safety procedures are followed.
- Warns swimmers of inappropriate activities or dangers and enforces pool regulations and water safety policies.
- Provides first aid in the event of an injury, rescues swimmers in distress or in danger of drowning, and, if necessary, performs CPR and/or artificial respiration.
- Evaluates conditions for safety and, if necessary, initiates an aquatic emergency action plan.
- Inspects pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure that they are safe and usable.
- Supervises and assists in the cleaning of the pool and related facilities and equipment; assists with chlorine residual water tests and with the keeping of records and charts of water tests and accident records; and adds chemicals to pool water as directed.
- Instructs or assists classes in fundamentals of swimming as needed.
- Resolves scheduling conflicts to ensure a safe pool environment when competing programs or priorities necessitate the use of aquatic facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.