Gould Academy, Bethel, ME
Are you a dynamic, empathetic and enthusiastic counselor who is committed to helping young people reach their full potential? Do you have a deep appreciation for the unique challenges and opportunities that come with working in a boarding school setting? If so, we want you to join Gould’s team as a School Counselor. Gould is seeking a qualified candidate to join our community as soon as possible.
Job Title: School Counselor
Department: Health Services
Reports To: Director of Health Services
FLSA Status: Exempt, Salary
Academy Status: Full Time, 10 month
Does this position supervise other employees: No
The School Counselor plays an essential role as a member of the Health Services team. They offer crucial supportive counseling, referrals, and education regarding mental health to the school community. This individual is a passionate advocate for the emotional and behavioral well-being of both students and the community.
All Gould employees and affiliates.
Essential Qualities of Employment
- Team Building and Culture Shaping Mindset
- Ethical and Responsible Decision Making
- Effective and Culturally Responsive Communication
- Collaborative Framework for Innovation and Results
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Counseling and Direct Student Support
- Provide culturally appropriate consultative, clinical and evidence based services for student crisis intervention
- Provide direct clinical work, including crisis, short term, and case management
- Maintain up-to-date clinical communication and documentation ensuring student privacy and confidentiality
- Provide acute crisis management as part of on-call rotations
- Provide individual and small group support for students as needed, and maintains appropriate communication and support for families, and relevant staff
- Refer students to outside providers for appropriate care
- Assist in the development and implementation of programs, preventative activities, and group counseling that include a variety of approaches from therapeutic to holistic wellness techniques ● Conduct faculty, staff, and student leader in-service training and educational opportunities on mental health and wellness related topics
- Support the Admission Office by reviewing student files and conducting conversations with outside mental health professionals as needed during the admission process
- Assist student support teams in creating and implementing student support plans ● Maintain excellent communication between students and their families, their Gould support team, and outside providers and agencies related to student care
- Maintain documentation as required by State Law and Health Services policies and procedures
Community Life and Professionalism
- Participate with student intake days
- Attend staff meetings and trainings
- Participate in Community Life duties, as assigned
- Adhere to policies in the Employee Handbook and Community Guide
- Meet daily professional expectations regarding attendance, timeliness, deadlines, communication, and professional development
- MSW is preferred; LCSW preferred for licensure; and experience working as a school counselor
- Active license in the state of Maine to provide mental health counseling
- Understand legal standards regarding compliance with state and federal laws, and the ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality
- Current NAMI gatekeeper, or similar suicide prevention training program
- Basic software literacy in Google Suite
- Valid US driver’s license
- Obtain CHRC certification from the Maine Department of Education
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. They will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their manager and/or the Head of School.
Physical Work Environment
These physical requirements are not exhaustive and additional job-related physical requirements may be added to these by individuals on an as-needed basis. Corrective devices may be used to meet physical requirements.
- It is essential to be able to meet the physical demands of sitting for prolonged periods of time at a desk or computer workstation, using repetitive arm, hand and finger movements
- Continuous use of fine motor skills such as push/pull and to grasp objects/paper
- Must be able to occasionally lift 10 lbs
- Ability to frequently bend, stand, stoop, walk, and sit
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to work in a semi-open office setting with frequent in-person interaction and numerous interruptions
- Ability to visit and move around on and off-campus must be able to travel to all campus locations and to appropriate training and/or meetings as required
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, 10 month faculty, exempt position beginning as soon as possible. Benefits include a generous retirement plan match, cost sharing for health and dental insurance, free $50,000 life and LTD insurances, health savings contribution, season pass to Sunday River, summers off, plus holidays, and a wellness culture with an annual contribution to employee wellness preferences and encouragement to participate in academy “days off” when the community comes together outside of the classroom. Use of the fitness center, including indoor tennis and skate park. Gould provides meals at our campus dining facility for you and your family. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates apply for this position by creating an applicant profile online and apply for this role. You will be asked to answer a few questions, upload your resume and a cover letter. Please share with us, Why Gould?
To learn more about Gould Academy and other career opportunities, please visit us at: www.gouldacademy.org/careers. If you prefer to apply by mail please contact Deborah Menezes at 207-824-7797.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Gould Academy does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, creed, color, gender, disability, or sexual orientation in the administration of its educational policies, admission, financial aid, loans, hiring process, and other school programs.