Part-Time Photography Teacher
Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified part-time middle school photography teacher to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the spring term (late March) of the 2023-24 school year and full 2024-25 school year. This part-time position includes 8 hours of work per week.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach digital photography and digital film part-time in our middle school arts department
- Teaching Responsibilities (each class meets twice for 50 minutes during a six-day cycle):
- Spring 2024: Digital Photography, Photoshop and Digital Photography
- Fall 2024: Digital Photography, Filmmaking and Photoshop
- Winter 2025: Digital Photography, Filmmaking and Photoshop
- Spring 2025: Digital Photography, Photoshop and Digital Photography
- Display and present students’ work throughout the year, participate in the annual spring arts assembly and enter students’ work in the Small Independent School Art League’s annual juried show
- Care for and maintain the appropriate equipment and studio spaces
- Write formal comments on students at the conclusion of each term
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in photography, another arts discipline, or child development, with a master’s degree preferred
- Three or more years of experience working with middle school-aged children using Adobe, Photoshop, iMovie, iPads, and Nikon digital cameras.
- An understanding of the importance of process and differentiated instruction as they develop new skills and vocabulary in their students
- Strong belief in a child-centered and developmentally appropriate environment
- An eagerness to embrace multicultural perspectives with experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- An ability to be flexible and adaptable in all activities and responsibilities, with an eagerness to work collaboratively on a team
- An ability to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School fosters a sense of community in which children feel seen, cared for and valued. We strive to provide children with a multicultural and culturally responsive education that honors the diversity of our community and the larger world. At DCD, we believe diversity includes a broad and evolving list of traits, including age, ethnicity, culture, nationality, family configuration, gender identity, orientation, social and economic class, physical and learning differences, religion, as well as other characteristics that contribute to each individual’s full identity. Embracing our motto, Learning Is a Way of Life, DCD supports its community in understanding and appreciating multiple perspectives, identifying and rejecting stereotypes and prejudices, understanding systemic oppression in all forms, and working for equity and belonging at DCD and beyond.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.