Montessori Middle School Teacher
Cambridge Montessori School, Cambridge, MA
Middle School Teacher (Fulltime)
Located in the heart of Cambridge, MA, Cambridge Montessori School is a coeducational independent day school currently enrolling students from toddler through grade eight. Since 1963, CMS has served Cambridge and surrounding towns. CMS is a dynamic, international community, which reflects the diverse culture and rich educational resources of the region and enrolls students from over 20 different countries. Cambridge Montessori School is accredited by the American Montessori Society and the Association of Independent Schools in New England, and is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and Montessori Schools of Massachusetts. CMS educates the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy in a joyful learning environment. We partner with our diverse community, using authentic Montessori principles, to reveal each child’s innate love of learning and prepare our children to thrive in a complex world.
Cambridge Montessori School is in search of a fulltime Middle School teacher. A BA or higher degree, a background in education, and teaching experience are required. Candidates who are new to Montessori must be willing to undertake Montessori training. We seek a teacher who is willing to work with colleagues in our interdisciplinary program.
First and foremost, the successful candidate must demonstrate a true love for and appreciation of Middle School students and will celebrate their emotional, social, and developmental phases. They must truly enjoy interacting with early adolescents as their teacher, mentor, and advocate in the classroom, at events, and on trips.
The Middle School program addresses the needs of young adults by creating a community where everyone feels safe to authentically express themselves, seeking academic challenge and growth. The curriculum provides a framework through which students will see connections between themselves and the world. They are encouraged to address such questions as: “Who am I and who am I becoming? How do I view and understand the world around me?”
The program blends the best practices of Montessori and traditional independent school pedagogy. The Middle School curriculum follows a two year cycle that provides a robust education for all. These concepts are expressed through an academically challenging curriculum, including regular use of Socratic Seminars, that prepare graduates to enter a number of different schools, both independent and public.
The Middle School program is vibrant and evolving. For this position, we seek a teacher who:
- At least three years of Montessori teaching experience
- AMS (preferred) or AMI Montessori training in adolescence
- Knowledge of Montessori theory
- Experience with how to apply Montessori theory successfully
- A talent for innovative problem solving that is consistent with those same Montessori principles and practices
- Enjoys teaching middle school-aged children and has the ability to adapt to their developmental status
- Works hard and puts significant time into discussion, planning, and facilitating Middle School events
- Effectively plans and problem-solves with the Middle School and Elementary faculty
- Communicates effectively with students, parents/guardians, colleagues, and others both verbally and in writing. Examples include presentations, conferences, emails, and narrative reports
- Assists with secondary school placement
- Requires outside school hours for events, trips, and outings
Important characteristics include:
- Ability to understand and the willingness to work with a range of learning styles
- Flexibility, creativity, and motivation
- Confident, professional demeanor
- Sense of humor
- Commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Experience in project-based learning is welcome
- CORI/SORI check will be required before joining our team
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required
This position is for the 2023-2024 academic year, September through June. Salary is based on experience and background. The school offers a competitive benefits package. We are seeking a long-term commitment to the school.
Our school is located in three buildings (Toddler/Primary, Elementary, and Middle School) all close to beautiful Danehy Park offering ample outdoor opportunities for our students and staff. We work to incorporate regular interactions between our staff and students in all three buildings. We have an active family association and community events are regularly scheduled throughout the year.
Professional Development and Training
- CPR certification training will be provided to all new staff who do not have existing and/or current certification
- Professional development opportunities are scheduled and available to all staff throughout the school year
- Montessori philosophy and pedagogy training provided during orientation week and throughout the school year.
- Membership to the American Montessori Society is provided and staff members are encouraged to take advantage of the resources and opportunities that membership offers.
- Parking is provided
- All three of our buildings are convenient to MBTA transit via bus and the red line (Alewife, Porter, and Davis stations)
- Competitive salary
- Receive school vacation weeks and most holidays off closely following the Cambridge Public School calendar
- Personal/sick days
- Health/dental/vision insurance
- HRA plan (CMS will fund the first $800 towards deductible expenses)
- Life and AD&D coverage is provided at no cost. New staff are automatically enrolled in the plan when first eligible.
- 403B retirement plan (eligible after working one year)
- Healthcare FSA plan, dependent care FSA plan, and transit commuter benefit plans available
- Short Term Disability (STD) and Long Term Disability (LTD) plans – which includes EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- Voluntary benefits offered through Aflac which include Accident Insurance, Cancer protection, Hospital Confinement, and Lump sum critical illness
- Discounted pet insurance
Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Cambridge Montessori School is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA+ people, and people who come from low income or working-class backgrounds. All potential applicants are strongly encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws. CMS is a non-sectarian institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, national or cultural origin, sexual orientation, family style, political belief, or disability in the administration of its admissions, financial assistance, education or employment practices.