Montessori Lower Elementary Co-Lead Teacher
Cambridge Montessori School, Cambridge, MA
Lower Elementary Co-Lead Teacher (Fulltime)
Located in the heart of Cambridge, MA, Cambridge Montessori School is a coeducational independent day school currently enrolling students from toddler through grade eight. Since 1963, CMS has served Cambridge and surrounding towns. CMS is a dynamic, international community, which reflects the diverse culture and rich educational resources of the region and enrolls students from over 20 different countries. Cambridge Montessori School is accredited by the American Montessori Society and the Association of Independent Schools in New England, and is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and Montessori Schools of Massachusetts. CMS educates the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy in a joyful learning environment. We partner with our diverse community, using authentic Montessori principles, to reveal each child’s innate love of learning and prepare our children to thrive in a complex world.
Cambridge Montessori School seeks a full time Lower Elementary co-lead teacher for a classroom of approximately 20 children ages six to nine years old. Applicants must be Montessori trained and certified for Lower Elementary (6-9 years). Three or more years of lower elementary teaching experience is desirable.
We seek flexible, imaginative, creative teachers who can effectively plan and problem solve and work in a collaborative team setting. The ability to understand and willingness to work with a range of learning styles is required. We expect our faculty to be involved and active in the school community and have an understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion principles. A confident, professional demeanor and a sense of humor are important characteristics. Candidates must be able to communicate effectively with students, parents, colleagues and others. Strong written skills are a prerequisite. Above all, a strong respect for and love of children is essential to function effectively in this child-centered environment.
- Collaborate with your co-lead teacher to set goals for, support, and guide the work of students.
- Teach individual and small group lessons to students using the school’s Montessori curriculum, pedagogy, and principles.
- Educate the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy in a joyful and inclusive learning environment.
- Represent the school values to all its constituents including neighbors, parents, students, alumni, the local business community, faculty and staff.
- Commitment to support the school values as well as understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion principles.
- Provide and maintain a safe and prepared classroom environment to support the needs of all students.
- Attend regular meetings and participate in curriculum management, classroom scheduling, and record keeping.
- 6-9 (Elementary 1) Montessori Certification
- BA/BS degree
- Preferred three years Montessori teaching experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well organized and flexible
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively with others.
- Committed to professional growth and best practices in Montessori approach to education
Our school is located in three buildings (Toddler/Primary, Elementary, and Middle School) all close to beautiful Danehy Park offering ample outdoor opportunities for our students and staff. We work to incorporate regular interactions between our staff and students in all three buildings. We have an active family association and community events are regularly scheduled throughout the year.
- Commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Experience in project-based learning is welcome
- CORI/SORI check will be required before joining our team
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required
This position is for the 2023-2024 academic year, September through June. Salary is based on experience and background. The school offers a competitive benefits package. We are seeking a long-term commitment to the school.
Professional Development and Training
- CPR certification training will be provided to all new staff who do not have existing and/or current certification
- Professional development opportunities are scheduled and available to all staff throughout the school year
- Montessori philosophy and pedagogy training provided during orientation week and throughout the school year.
- Membership to the American Montessori Society is provided and staff members are encouraged to take advantage of the resources and opportunities that membership offers.
- Parking is provided
- All three of our buildings are convenient to MBTA transit via bus and the red line (Alewife, Porter, and Davis stations)
- Competitive salary
- Built-in planning time
- Receive school vacation weeks and most holidays off closely following the Cambridge Public School calendar
- Personal/sick days
- Health/dental/vision insurance
- HRA plan (CMS will fund the first $800 towards deductible expenses)
- Life and AD&D coverage is provided at no cost. New staff are automatically enrolled in the plan when first eligible.
- 403B retirement plan (eligible after working one year)
- Healthcare FSA plan, dependent care FSA plan, and transit commuter benefit plans available
- Short Term Disability (STD) and Long Term Disability (LTD) plans – which includes EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- Voluntary benefits offered through Aflac which include Accident Insurance, Cancer protection, Hospital Confinement, and Lump sum critical illness
- Discounted pet insurance
Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Cambridge Montessori School is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA+ people, and people who come from low income or working-class backgrounds. All potential applicants are strongly encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws. CMS is a non-sectarian institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, national or cultural origin, sexual orientation, family style, political belief, or disability in the administration of its admissions, financial assistance, education or employment practices.