Middle School Science Teacher
Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified middle school science teacher to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2024-2025 academic year.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach four daily middle school science classes to students in grades 6, 7 and 8
- Serve as a class advisor to a group of middle school students, including oversight of their academic progress and emotional growth, planning advisory activities and working with the grade-level advisory team
- Promote the social and emotional growth of students
- Evaluate and integrate emerging technologies to enhance teaching and learning in the classroom
- Provide ongoing communication with parents and compose formal comments on each student at the conclusion of each term
- Collaborate with middle school faculty on curricular and cultural initiatives
- Participate in team meetings, division meetings, weekly faculty/staff meetings, and professional development opportunities
- Take part in the school community as a contributing member, through committee work, weekly recess and lunch duties, and field trip (day/overnight) organization and supervision.
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree with an advanced degree in science or education preferred
- Three or more years of teaching experience in science and working with middle school-aged children preferred
- Strong organizational, time management, communication and interpersonal skills and a passion for working with middle school students
- An eagerness to embrace multicultural perspectives with experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- A openness to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
- An ability to be flexible and adaptable in activities and responsibilities, with an eagerness to work collaboratively on a team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School fosters a sense of community in which children feel seen, cared for and valued. We strive to provide children with a multicultural and culturally responsive education that honors the diversity of our community and the larger world. At DCD, we believe diversity includes a broad and evolving list of traits, including age, ethnicity, culture, nationality, family configuration, gender identity, orientation, social and economic class, physical and learning differences, religion, as well as other characteristics that contribute to each individual’s full identity. Embracing our motto, Learning Is a Way of Life, DCD supports its community in understanding and appreciating multiple perspectives, identifying and rejecting stereotypes and prejudices, understanding systemic oppression in all forms, and working for equity and belonging at DCD and beyond.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham, MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.