Brooks School, North Andover, MA
The mission of Brooks School is to provide the most meaningful educational experience our
students will have in their lifetimes. We strive to be a place where a diverse group of faculty and
staff want to learn, grow, and do their best work to support all aspects of a Brooks student’s life,
both in and out of the classroom. At Brooks, we recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote
regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status and other
protected statuses. Our school thrives because of our faculty and staff’s hard work, initiative,
dedication and compassion.
Brooks School seeks a dynamic, enthusiastic and confident Mathematics Teacher (Parental
Leave Coverage) from January-June 2024. This part-time faculty position will include teaching
four sections. We are especially interested in candidates who are skilled in culturally responsive
educational practices and who are committed to fostering a sense of inclusion and belonging.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND KEY OBJECTIVES:
The successful candidate will:
● Demonstrate a growth mindset in considering current pedagogical best practices
and an understanding of adolescent development.
● Use technology as a vehicle to enhance instruction and student learning.
● Apply engaging and innovative student-centered teaching practices that balance
the development of procedural skills, conceptual understanding of mathematical
ideas, appropriate use of technology, and opportunities for critical thinking and
● Communicate regularly and work collaboratively with members of the department
teaching the same courses to ensure curricular consistency.
● Practice patience, empathy, and a sense of humor with adolescents.
● Understand and set appropriate boundaries in working with adolescent students.
● Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues, and parents
regarding student progress and achievement.
● Work independently with a strong work ethic.
● Teach four sections of mathematics:
Precalculus (two sections)
Probability and Statistics
● Attend weekly mathematics department meetings
● Provide timely grading of assessments and thorough comments written at various
grading periods throughout the semester.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
● 3+ years teaching experience preferred
● Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in an indoor environment. The noise level
in the work environment is usually moderate.
● Occasional lifting, bending and climbing stairs
● Frequent talking, listening, walking, sitting and standing
● Ability to perform multiple concurrent tasks and functions in a fast-paced
TRAVEL: This role does not require travel.
APPLICATION AND POSITION INFORMATION:
Brooks School believes that realizing a mission aimed at “providing the most meaningful educational experience its students will have in their lives” requires intentional work to build and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion for all members of our predominantly residential school. As such, we seek a diverse candidate pool that includes those who are traditionally
underrepresented and less familiar with boarding school life.
All interested candidates should submit the following materials by email with attachments to
Assistant Head of School Ms. Nina Hanlon (firstname.lastname@example.org) by December 15, 2023:
● Cover letter expressing why you are interested in Brooks and this opportunity
● A current resume
● Three professional references (including a current supervisor) and contact
information; references will not be contacted without your permission.
EEO STATEMENT: Brooks School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, sexual
orientation, disability or religion in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies,
employment policies, financial aid and loan programs, athletic programs and other school administered
programs and activities.