Lower Elementary Teacher – Tentative Opening
Inly School, Scituate, MA
Inly School is an independent PreK–8 Montessori-plus School located in Scituate, MA, 25 miles south of Boston. It has a student population of approximately 340 students, 76 employees, and serves 20 towns on the South Shore.
At Inly School our dynamic Montessori+ practices inspire our inclusive community of learners to explore and shape ourselves and the world with joyful curiosity, courage and compassion. Our commitment to anti-racist and anti-bias teaching practices are the privilege and responsibility of every member of the Inly Community. Inly School actively seeks faculty, families and leadership who embrace and practice skills that reflect our Montessori core values of collaboration, respect, compassion and empathy.
Inly School seeks an experienced Lower Elementary teacher to team-teach in a multi-age elementary classroom (grades 1–3) beginning in August 2024..
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with a co-teacher daily, and with colleagues more generally to design and continuously improve the academic program in alignment with Inly School strategic objectives and our Montessori core values. Curriculum responsibilities include comprehensive, age appropriate instruction in math, reading, writing, cultural studies, science, spelling, practical life and life skills.
- Create and maintain a prepared environment that is well ordered, clean, inviting, encourages student exploration and growth, and facilitates each student’s growing concentration and independence.
- Observe and evaluate each child’s individual progress and use those observations to record and plan future lessons that are developmentally and academically appropriate for each student.
- Invest in the whole child understanding that meeting the emotional needs of each student is a primary task of the Montessori educator.
Strong Candidates Will Have:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree, preferred or comparable experience
- Minimum three years experience
- Experience with Lucy Calkins Writing Workshop and Fountas and Pinnell literacy program a plus
- Desire to collaborate and contribute to a progressive school environment
- An understanding of Montessori philosophy and pedagogy, as well as an interest in current educational research and innovative practices (Montessori training available for qualified candidates)
- A demonstrated ability to embrace multicultural perspectives with experience building an inclusive environment and a commitment to anti-bias teaching practices.
Your role is essential in nurturing and developing young minds. Our expectations for this dynamic position include:
- Stationary and Active Balance: This role requires a balance between remaining stationary and actively engaging within the school environment. Your presence and participation are vital in both settings.
- Mobility and Resource Utilization: Our campus is a sprawling campus 13 acres with multiple buildings. The ability to move about the school is necessary for accessing and utilizing various resources, which are integral to our operation.
- Clear and Effective Communication: As a pivotal member of our team, your ability to communicate information and ideas clearly is essential. This ensures a robust and understanding network among staff, students, and parents.
- Physical Involvement: The role regularly involves lifting items, including children, weighing up to 30 pounds. This aspect of the job is crucial for supporting the physical care and educational activities of our students.
- Outdoor Activities Engagement: Our curriculum incorporates daily outdoor activities, requiring you to work in various weather conditions. This aspect of the role is instrumental in promoting outdoor learning and appreciation among our students.
- Inclusivity and Support: We are dedicated to creating an inclusive work environment. If requested reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship.
- Adaptability and Role Evolution: As our school grows and evolves, so may your role. Our supervisors are always looking to enhance our team’s skills and may revise or add duties to reflect these changes. Flexibility and a willingness to adapt are appreciated as we all strive towards our common goal of exceptional education and care
We offer Competitive Pay and Benefits. Benefits offerings include Medical with HSA plan, Dental plan, Retirement 403(b), Life insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Flexible spending accounts, Vision care, Short-term Disability, Long-term Disability, Legal Shield and Aflac.
A Note to Potential Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, trans, non-binary folks and BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in the job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
To apply for this position, please email your resumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.