Carrabassett Valley Academy, Carrabassett Valley, ME
Job Title: Humanities (English/History)Teacher
Location: Carrabassett Valley, Maine
Employee Status: Full-time, 9-month contract
Classification: Salary with 12-month benefits
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an area of humanities is preferred.
- Experience teaching college preparatory high school English is required.
Carrabassett Valley Academy has an open position in the Humanities Department for the 2024-25 school year. This position involves teaching middle school and high school-level English Language Arts and History with the potential for additional hours tutoring in our Academic Success Program. Classes range in size from 6-12 students. Teaching at CVA allows for the freedom to design and develop the curriculum to best serve the needs of the student-athletes who learn on-the-go during training and competitions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach up to 5 sections (typically 3 courses/preps, some with 2 sections); approximately 15-20 in-class hours per week.
- Provide prompt grading and feedback for students.
- Provide asynchronous travel assignments and feedback for students when out of the classroom for athletic training and competitions.
- Attend weekly teacher meetings, school meetings, and faculty meetings.
- Provide timely communication with parents, students, and co-workers.
- Provide occasional office hours set by the teacher to meet with students needing extra help.
- Perform the requisite number of weekday and weekend dormitory duties required of all faculty and staff.
- Tap into a student’s passion for skiing/snowboarding, love of the outdoors, and willingness to work hard to help each student achieve their personal best.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Health Insurance, STD, LTD, Voluntary Accident, and Dental and Vision Insurance is offered for employees working 6+ months of the year.
- Sugarloaf Alpine and Nordic Season Pass provided for all employees.
- Meals in Campus Dining Commons are provided for employees and their families during the school year.
- On-campus housing may be offered, pending availability.
- Access to endless recreational opportunities in the region including skiing, hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, fishing, and more.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or Karen Lanoue-Egan, Carrabassett Valley Academy, 3197 Carrabassett Drive, Carrabassett Valley, ME 04947.
About Carrabassett Valley Academy:
Carrabassett Valley Academy (CVA) is an independent, college-preparatory boarding/day school for 7th grade to post-graduate students, located at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain. The mission of CVA is to foster focused, individual student-athlete development by providing the optimum balance between college preparatory academics, responsible community living, and world-class athletic training in competitive skiing and snowboarding. CVA is more than a school; it is a way of life that is shaped by the ruggedness of the terrain and environment. We create a life-changing experience not found elsewhere, an experience that creates growth, opportunity, and choices. To learn more about our unique school, visit our website at www.gocva.com.
About Our Region:
Carrabassett Valley is home to Sugarloaf Mountain Resort, Maine’s largest ski area. The resort offers 162 skiing and snowboarding trails, terrain parks, and an Olympian-designed Cross course. In the winter months, Carrabassett Valley also offers over 80 miles of groomed trails connecting four backcountry eco-lodges for Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, and fat biking, open to the public at no charge. In warmer weather, grab a round at Sugarloaf’s renowned golf or enjoy the nearly 100 miles of mountain bike trails. With a short ride to nearby Flagstaff Lake, the 740-mile Northern Forest Canoe Trail, or any of the surrounding ponds and streams in the region, you can enjoy boating, canoeing, kayaking, and paddle boarding opportunities. Feel like hiking? Access to the Appalachian Trail is right out our front door! Carrabassett Valley has it all!