The Fessenden School, Newton, MA
The Fessenden School is an all boys independent day and boarding school serving 525 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 9th Grade in West Newton, MA. The Fessenden School’s mission is to cultivate each boy’s talents and develop in balance his character, mind, and body in an inclusive and joyful community. For more than 100 years, The Fessenden School has offered state-of-the-art facilities, curriculum, and programs specifically designed to meet the educational needs of boys.
The Fessenden School seeks a full-time Academic Tutor November 2022 to June 2023 . The Academic Tutor provides one-on-one support for boys in Grades 5–9 who have been identified as needing additional support in any of a variety of subject areas. Full time Academic Tutors typically meet one-on-one with 8-10 students two to three times per week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Meet with individual students in a tutorial setting to provide support with assignments and organization
- Provide differentiated instruction to meet the learning needs of a range of students
- Communicate regularly and effectively with parents, both orally and in writing through emails and bi-annual narrative reports
- Communicate and partner regularly and effectively with classroom teacher(s), both orally and in writing
- Collaborate with teachers and colleagues in the Learning Resources Department
- Facilitate parent-teacher conferences and attend Student Support Team meetings as needed
- Incorporate educational technology in tutorial lessons and support student use of assistive technology in the classroom
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Attend Learning Resource Department meetings
- Attend professional development meetings (three full day and three afternoon)
- Maintain current CPR/AED & first aid certification and child abuse prevention training
- Exemplify the School’s mission and community principles
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Director of Learning Resources or the School
- Commitment to inclusion, social justice, diversity, and equity
- Enthusiasm and skills to engage boys and build meaningful relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to perform critical thinking, organization, collaboration, prioritization, and problem solving
- Ability to serve among a diverse community of colleagues, students, and parents
- Commitment to boys and boys’ education
- Current with curriculum and 21st century learning and teaching
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related subject
- Experience in supporting children in one-to-one or small group settings
- Successful criminal background check
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear
- Regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom environment, and the noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
Submit an application through Fessenden’s Career Site. A cover letter, resume and contact information for three references are required.
The Fessenden School encourages applications from candidates with diverse or minority backgrounds.
The Fessenden School believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, ancestry, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws. The School’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, conditions, and privileges of employment.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.