World Language Teacher – French
Kents Hill School, Readfield, ME
About Kents Hill School
Kents Hill School is one of the oldest co-ed boarding schools in the country, located on 400 beautiful acres in Maine. We bring boarding and day students together from across the world to engage in self-discovery and growth, both in and out of the classroom. Diversity, equity, and belonging are integral to our community as we actively strive to be an anti-racist school through consistent and ongoing learning for all. Our caring and deeply engaged faculty members truly know each student, and because of that are able to create transformational experiences. With student-centered inquiry at its core, the academic curriculum merges the four dimensions of learning (knowledge, skills, character, and reflection) with PBL (project-based learning) to balance academic rigor with strong support. Students also have the opportunity to explore their passions in athletics and the arts, and develop leadership potential with over 30 clubs and activities.
This position, with a start as soon as available, will join a group of faculty dedicated to skill development in critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication, as well as the exploration of character and reflection. This full-time teaching position will also advise a group of students, actively participate in the residential life program, and assist with extracurricular activities.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A native speaker or have near-native fluency in French.
- Able to teach all levels of French from beginner through advanced courses.
- Knowledgeable about French culture.
- Ready to work as part of a small team of dynamic language teachers to develop best practices in world language instruction
- Focused on student-centered inquiry, meeting the needs of each student and framing the use of French in real-world scenarios.
- Committed to developing in all Kents Hill students the kinds of sophisticated problem-solving and critical-thinking strategies needed for success beyond secondary education.
- Excited to actively collaborate in the 4D curriculum through course design, pedagogy, and assessment.
- Culturally competent with skills for engaging with and learning from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Committed to the entire student experience and want to engage with students both inside and outside of the classroom. Typically, this includes:
- Living in a dorm faculty residence and participating in all aspects of dorm life.
- Advising a group of students.
- Coaching or assistant coaching for two athletic seasons or running other afternoon activities programs.
How to Apply: Please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “French Teacher.”
Kents Hill School is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.