Varsity Rowing Head Coach
Pingree School, Hamilton, MA
Pingree School is a dynamic and aspirational, independent, all-gender day school on the North Shore of Boston, located on a beautiful 100-acre campus in South Hamilton, where approximately 385 students in grades 9 through 12 solve problems, build community, and learn how to learn. Pingree School empowers every community member to pursue knowledge with courage and imagination, thrive in joy and challenge, and create a more just and equitable world. Committed to developing global citizens, Pingree actively seeks faculty and students of character and intelligence from diverse social, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Pingree School seeks an experienced Varsity Rowing Head Coach/Director of Rowing to join our Athletics Department for the Spring 2024 season. The Rowing team competes as part of the highly competitive New England Interscholastic Rowing Association (NEIRA). This is a part-time seasonal position with a stipend. The Head Coach/Director of Rowing directs and coordinates all aspects of the Rowing program in concert with Pingree’s mission and values. The successful coach will be committed to working with and developing high school students within the context of a day school committed to promoting health and wellness, citizenship, teamwork, and sportsmanship. They will be expected to work cooperatively and collegially with the schools in which Pingree shares lake access.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop a training plan and weekly practice schedule and assist in scheduling a spring regatta schedule
- Supervise and mentor assistant coaches and oversee race management
- Evaluate, record and communicate with students regarding their rowing progress and work with all levels of rowers
- Attend program and league meetings; respond to requests from the media and support student-athletes in the college admission process as needed
- Oversee safety policies and procedures for rowing team
- Manage and inventory all equipment including maintaining launches and engines
- Drive crew trailer and recommend maintenance as needed; assist with inventory and ordering for new equipment
- Evening and weekend hours are required at times as well as off-season support for the program as needed
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Experience as a rower or coxswain and previous coaching experience at the high school, club or collegiate level, including strong technical knowledge of the sport
- Boat and water safety experience
- Passion for working with and developing high school student-athletes and strong interpersonal and communication skills
- A demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and anti-racism and the ability to foster inclusive team culture
To apply for the Varsity Rowing Head Coach/Director of Rowing position, please submit a cover letter and resume, along with contact information for two professional references.
Pingree School is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Pingree does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, color, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran or active military status, genetics, natural or protective hairstyle, or any other category protected by state, federal or local law.