Varsity Coach Soccer/Lacrosse & Sports Information Coordinator
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: August 2023
Reporting to: Director of Athletics
BB&N is seeking a full-time 10-month Girls Varsity Soccer or Lacrosse Coach combined with the role of Sports Information Coordinator. The position works for the duration of the academic year. Additionally, the position will manage the athletics social media platforms in a deadline-driven atmosphere, maintain the athletics website, and provide athletics content for the weekly newsletter and 2x/year school magazine.
The role is also expected to coach other seasons at the discretion of the athletic director. Other responsibilities may include making contributions to the overall team effort, including assistance with various duties and functions when needed, including, but not limited to, game site management and game film oversight for all programs.
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate is approachable, knowledgeable, and eager to be an active member of a dynamic athletic and learning community. Bachelor’s degree required.
In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with a diverse group of people including faculty, students, staff, and parents
- Excellent written, oral, and listening, communication skills, and ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Ability to coach an interscholastic sport at the highest level within the school and become involved in the life of the School
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and support a busy director
- Problem resolution, willingness to find new solutions, and share ideas in a constructive way
- Well-organized with multi-tasking capability to manage multiple projects to the deadline
- Meeting and event management experience a plus; the flexibility to work long hours, when necessary, including weekends and evenings during busy times
- Computer literacy and comfortable learning new software and social media platforms
- Initiative and follow-through; “self-starter”
- Professional boundaries; respect and use of appropriate information channels. Information dealt with in strictest confidence and discretion; Diplomacy, discretion, and tact; Represent institution and department positively to all internal and external constituents
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and fully develop those strengths. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a broad spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add critical dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally-appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. At BB&N, we value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all. The different perspectives and experiences of our students define the fabric of our community and contribute to the growth of the individuals who call BB&N their alma mater and shape the classroom and extracurricular experiences. To have classmates and friends who are different from oneself, to come to truly know the background, experiences, and beliefs of a new friend is to learn more deeply about oneself and our world. There is no more important attribute in preparation for global citizenship.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.
Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List. Please include your connection to BB&N’s mission and values in your cover letter.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job-related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.