Upper School Spanish Teacher – starting August 2024
Derby Academy, Hingham, MA
Derby Academy, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 8 coeducational day school located in Hingham, Massachusetts, seeks an Upper School (Grades 6-8) Spanish Teacher. This will be a full-time position beginning August 19, 2024.
Rooted in the school’s motto, “Improve Both Mind and Heart,” Derby provides students with a joyful and rigorous academic environment. The Derby Academy World Language Department values the role of language learning in educating the whole child. Our World Language instruction begins in PreKindergarten with Spanish instruction through Grade 5. In Grades 6-8, students choose a path of study from multiple World Languages, currently including Latin, French, and Spanish. We are exploring the idea of expanding our Upper School World Language offerings, so the ideal candidate would be fluent in several languages including Spanish.
An Upper School Spanish Teacher (Grades 6-8) will work with the World Language Department and grade-level colleagues for planning. In addition, the teacher will serve as an advisor responsible for the social emotional health and development of their students. Derby offers a variety of electives and teachers are expected to teach an elective either in a passion area or an area the teacher is interested in exploring. Athletics is an important component of our program and all students in grades 6-8 are required to play sports, therefore coaching a sport is also required.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- a deep understanding of middle childhood;
- middle school teaching experience;
- fluency in several languages, including Spanish;
- enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to collaborate with colleagues on a grade level, department level and across disciplines;
- desire to develop curriculum that focuses on authentic, real-world application of learning;
- experience with and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact they have on the curriculum and the community;
- successful experience developing active and inclusive learning spaces in which students feel safe, honored, appreciated, and respected for who they are;
- the ability to create activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, innovation, problem-solving, and the use of technology;
- success in creating a supportive classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another through student-centered instruction, collaboration and authentic assessment;
- success in communicating with parents to provide timely and appropriate feedback regarding student progress;
- a growth mindset when it comes to engaging with relevant and mission-driven professional learning to grow their practice;
- desire to be involved in the school outside of the classroom;
- the ability to consistently exercise discretion and good judgment;
- the leadership qualities to inspire, motivate, and develop students;
- the ability to nurture a deep feeling of community through actions and attitudes;
- strong planning, problem-solving, and communication skills along with exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education and previous teaching experience; teacher certification preferred.
A competitive salary and benefits package includes generous funding of professional development.
Derby Academy is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational community and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, color, veteran status, physical ability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin or any other state or federally protected classifications. Derby Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Derby Academy values inclusivity and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds or who have experience in cultural competency work to apply.