Upper School Spanish Teacher (Grades 5-8)
Brookwood School, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
About Brookwood School:
Brookwood is an Early Childhood through Grade 8 independent school of about 300 students located on a beautiful 30-acre wooded campus in Manchester, MA on the coast of the North Shore of Boston. At Brookwood, kids come first—not the test, not trophies, not to-do lists. We know how kids learn best. Every day, we use our expertise to challenge kids intellectually and ensure they feel valued so that they can grow into their best selves. Our program focuses on fostering a joyful community of lifelong learners and upstanding global citizens who embrace a culture of curiosity, kindness, and academic accomplishment. Brookwood also offers a playful, collaborative work environment for 85 faculty and staff who go the extra mile to do what is best for kids.
Brookwood seeks an outstanding world language teacher that has a deep knowledge of child development and best practices for teaching Spanish in grades 5-8, exceptional written/verbal communication skills, and an infectious sense of fun. Dedicated to graduating students with cultural competency, Brookwood actively pursues candidates with a strong focus on multiculturalism, equity and inclusion. The ideal candidate will have strong proficiency in Spanish and be familiar with the ACTFL Communication Modes (Interpersonal, Presentational and Interpretive). This position involves teaching a variety of levels from grade 5 to grade 8 and serving as an Upper School Advisor in Grade 6, 7 or 8. Brookwood seeks a language teacher that will enthusiastically contribute to our language program that is rooted in communicative language teaching and competency-based assessment. The candidate will put students’ needs at the center of decision-making, will be a self-reflective educator who models a growth mindset, and will be an inspiration to and collaborator with a high-performing faculty.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced proficiency in Spanish
- At least 2 years of relevant experience
- Experience with culturally responsive teaching practices and social/emotional learning
- Master’s degree in education or Spanish or Education
- Experience with frameworks RULER and Learning for Justice Social Justice Standards
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach Upper School Spanish classes (likely 7th and 8th grade Spanish)
- Communicate regularly with faculty, administration, and parents about the academic, social, and emotional health of students
- Develop units, lesson plans and instructional materials that use a variety of strategies to meet the learning needs of children, including differentiated instruction
- Advise a small group of students, prioritizing their social, emotional and mental well-being
- Assist with responsibilities outside of the World Language Department (recess duty, leading student clubs, field trips, and co-leading / leading an immersive week long program in May called Steep Week)
- Ideally coach one or two seasons of 6-8th grade athletics for an additional stipend
- Engage in professional development to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion goals at Brookwood
- Engage in professional development to stay on the forefront of research and implementation of evidence-based language instruction
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, résumé, and statement of educational philosophy to Sophie Rothman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ educators, or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Brookwood.