Upper School Science (Grades 5-8)
Brookwood School, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
About Brookwood School:
Brookwood is an Early Childhood through Grade 8 independent school of about 300 students located on a beautiful 30-acre wooded campus in Manchester, MA on the coast of the North Shore of Boston. At Brookwood, kids come first—not the test, not trophies, not to-do lists. We know how kids learn best. Every day, we use our expertise to challenge kids intellectually and ensure they feel valued so that they can grow into their best selves. Our program focuses on fostering a joyful community of lifelong learners and upstanding global citizens who embrace a culture of curiosity, kindness, and academic accomplishment. Brookwood also offers a playful, collaborative work environment for 85 faculty and staff who go the extra mile to do what is best for kids.
Brookwood seeks an outstanding science teacher that has a deep knowledge of adolescent child development and best practices for teaching grades 5-8, exceptional written/verbal communication skills, and an infectious sense of fun. Dedicated to graduating students with cultural competency, Brookwood actively pursues candidates with a strong focus on multiculturalism, equity, inclusion. The ideal candidate will have strong science teaching pedagogy and content knowledge. The position likely teaches three sections of 8th grade physical science, one section of 7th grade life science and serves as an Upper School Advisor. Brookwood seeks a science teacher that will be enthusiastic to utilize Brookwood’s unique campus and location to incorporate experiential learning opportunities outdoors with students and support our ongoing sustainability efforts. The candidate will put students’ needs at the center of decision-making, will be a self-reflective educator who models a growth mindset, and will be an inspiration to and collaborator with a high-performing faculty.
- Master’s degree in education or science
- At least 2 years of relevant experience
- Experience with culturally responsive teaching practices and social/emotional learning
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teaching science classes to multiple grade levels
- To communicate regularly with other faculty, administration, and parents about the academic, social, and emotional health of students
- In addition to developing lesson plans and instructional materials, the candidate must use a variety of strategies to meet the learning needs of children
- Advisor to a small group of students, prioritizing their social, emotional and mental well-being
- Upper School teachers also assist with responsibilities outside of their subject (including recess duty, leading student clubs, field trips)
- Upper School teachers ideally coach one or two seasons of 6-8th grade athletics for an additional stipend
- Engage in professional development to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion goals at Brookwood
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, résumé to Alicia Drury, receptionist: email@example.com
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ educators, or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Brookwood.