Upper School Physical Education Teacher
Bancroft School, Worcester, MA
About Bancroft School
Through active, inquiry-based learning and challenging experiences, Bancroft School empowers students in grades PreK to 12 with the skills, knowledge and confidence to make a difference in their community and the world. Guided by outstanding teachers, curious learners engage with one another and celebrate the strengths and lived experiences of each individual. Bancroft School seeks to be the first choice for students and families seeking to own their journey to mastery and independence in an inclusive campus where each individual is safe, known, and valued.
Bancroft is located in Worcester, Massachusetts — a thriving city with a rich history and a bright future in which the school is deeply invested. Founded in 1900, Bancroft’s 30-acre campus is in a residential neighborhood just north of downtown. Our 400 students from 63 cities and towns around central Massachusetts represent a variety of different backgrounds that contribute to a unique and diverse learning environment.
In January of 2020, the school unveiled a 5-year strategic plan, BluePrint125 — a product of extensive internal investigation and collaborative discussion among the School’s many constituents. In recent years, the School has made significant investments in campus upgrades to improve energy efficiency, air quality, and public safety. Other major campus enhancements have included the creation of flexible, multi-functional learning spaces in the areas of performing arts, athletics, and technology.
Bancroft School seeks a Physical Education Teacher to plan and lead developmentally appropriate physical education lessons for Upper School (grades 9-12) students. The goal of the school’s physical education program is to create a positive physical education environment that reflects the practices of Bancroft’s active learning laboratory. The position calls for excellent teamwork with teaching colleagues.
Candidates should have prior experience working with high school students, and possess the necessary energy, enthusiasm and direction to lead a safe and interactive classroom (in the gymnasium and on the fields). This person should be able to incorporate best teaching practices, helping students to develop an understanding of the importance of physical fitness and physical literacy as they learn and develop their motor skills and movement concepts.
Physical education teachers are required to coach athletic teams as part of their responsibilities. The ideal candidate for this position will have experience in coaching and teaching physical education.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in Physical Education or a related field. The applicant must have an enthusiasm for teaching and working with other professionals in a diverse PreK-12 school community.
CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications are required and the school can provide access to training if not already certified.
- Teach physical education classes
- Coach athletic teams during each of the three sport seasons
- Attend curriculum planning and department meetings
- Write reports on student progress
- Provide department support and assist with major events, such as Homecoming
- Serve as a full community member by attending monthly faculty meetings, sitting on committees, participating in admissions activities and covering duties and other routine faculty responsibilities.
- Consistent and regular communication with students, parents, and teachers/ advisors.
- Promote social and emotional growth for all students in your care.
- Engage in professional development to enhance inclusive teaching and leadership practices. The school offers extensive professional development opportunities for a racially and ethnically diverse community that is informed, self-reflective, and characterized by respect and careful listening.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education or athletics field
- Three to five years teaching experience
- Experience in and enthusiasm for a range of teaching experience with children and adolescents
- Proven ability to differentiate instruction
- Coaching experience in some of the sports Bancroft offers: cross country, soccer, field hockey, basketball, lacrosse, track and field, baseball, softball, rowing, golf, skiing, swimming, volleyball, and tennis
- Experience with online collaborative learning software
Essential Attitudes & Aptitudes
- A collaborative spirit
- A willingness to participate and partner with colleagues on culture and curricular initiatives
- A demonstrated personal commitment to health and wellness
Bancroft seeks dynamic candidates who will be active participants in the community beyond the classroom, with interest in supporting extracurricular activities in athletics, clubs, and other programs.
Bancroft is committed to cultivating and sustaining a community that embraces difference and welcomes candidates who will add to the racial and cultural diversity of our community. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, personal statement, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org