Upper School Math Teacher (Grades 7-9)
The Pike School, Andover, MA
Upper School Math Teacher (Grades 7-9), 2023-2024
The Pike School
A Pike education ignites a lifelong journey of discovery. Our community, including our teachers, are at the heart of Pike. We ground our work in building connection, inspiring curiosity, and cultivating the learning and growth of each of our students. A Pike education liberates human potential and possibility to transform ourselves and our world and is rooted in our motto, Non Sibi Solum. We value:
- Authenticity: We embrace the identities of every person.
- Intellectual Ambition: We foster curiosity, inquiry, engagement, and initiative in learning.
- Social Good: We care for ourselves, for one another, and for our community.
As a new school year, new strategic initiatives, and a healthier world await us, we believe we are on the cusp of this brighter future, a world more worthy of our children. If you are also looking ahead – inquisitive, hopeful, and eager, would you like to help create the future with us?
Working at Pike means immersing yourself in a student-centered culture and compassionate, diverse community. We endeavor to be an exemplar for transformational education and a center for purposeful learning, leadership, and impact. In partnership with the Division Head, Director of Academics, and Department Head, our teachers strive to build upon and strengthen a culture of inclusion and belonging where students of all identities thrive and faculty and staff possess the competencies to support our diverse student body. Opportunities for strategic thinking, innovation and learning are plentiful. If you’re passionate, motivated, and can’t help but dream about what’s possible for all children – we invite you to take a closer look at Pike. The Pike School, an independent elementary school in Andover, MA, serves approximately 450 students, of all genders, in grades pre-kindergarten through nine. Learn more about our commitment to possibility.
The opportunity: Upper School Math Teacher (Grades 7-9)
The Pike School is seeking an Upper School Math Teacher, Grades 7-9, beginning in the 2023-2024 school year. Pike’s Upper School consists of Grades 5-9, and the math department consists of a total of four teachers who collaboratively design the best possible experience for their students. This teacher will also be responsible for an advisory group and should be prepared to teach students at various grade levels in the Upper School. Collaboration and effective communication are essential skills for this position, as are a sense of humor and joy for working with students in this age group and for all of the subject matter included in the Upper School math curriculum. A successful candidate will bring strong culturally responsive teaching practices, a demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning, and a collaborative approach to teamwork and planning.
- Designing, planning, and implementing math instruction for students in multiple grade levels in the Upper School (grades 7-9).
- Serve as an advisor to a small group of students; focusing on the social-emotional and academic development of those students in particular.
- Assessing, documenting, and communicating effectively with colleagues and families about student growth and development.
- Partnering with administrators, learning services specialists, counselors, and teachers in support of the student learning experience.
- Writing narrative reports three times per year to document student progress in regards to Pike’s Essential Outcomes.
- Meeting with families for twice-yearly conferences about academic progress and social- emotional development, and on an as-needed basis throughout the year.
- As a part of the Upper School program, teachers travel with their students on both day and overnight trips over the course of the year. Teachers are expected to attend overnight experiences with their students or advisees, if applicable.
Desired Qualities and Qualifications:
- A passion for working with students in this age group and a record of outstanding teaching as well as thoughtful innovation moderated by a skillful and sensitive approach to change.
- Desire to work in a dynamic independent school as a team player, eagerly assuming many roles, and devoting the time required to model excellence in job performance.
- A growth mindset and the ability to develop positive working relationships with all constituencies, including students, parents, faculty, and administration.
- Commitment to professional growth, a collaborative approach for planning, instructing and supporting students, research/evidence-based practice, and Pike’s values of equity and justice.
- High emotional intelligence and sensitivity to organizational dynamics; exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to deliver differentiated instruction, including meeting the needs of neurodivergent students
- Intellectual curiosity and a commitment to professional development in mathematics and mathematics instruction.
- Experience with technology and programming and its implementation in math classrooms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience coordinating math clubs and math competitions
- Knowledge of/experience with/a curiosity toward various fields in math
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 3-5 years classroom experience.