Upper School Math Teacher
Bancroft School, Worcester, MA
About Bancroft School
Through active, inquiry-based learning and challenging experiences, Bancroft School empowers students in grades PreK to 12 with the skills, knowledge and confidence to make a difference in their community and the world. Guided by outstanding teachers, curious learners engage with one another and celebrate the strengths and lived experiences of each individual. Bancroft School seeks to be the first choice for students and families seeking to own their journey to mastery and independence in an inclusive campus where each individual is safe, known, and valued.
Bancroft is located in Worcester, Massachusetts — a thriving city with a rich history and a bright future in which the school is deeply invested. Founded in 1900, Bancroft’s 30-acre campus is in a residential neighborhood just north of downtown. Our 400 students from 63 cities and towns around central Massachusetts represent a variety of different backgrounds that contribute to a unique and diverse learning environment.
In January of 2020, the school unveiled a 5-year strategic plan, BluePrint125 — a product of extensive internal investigation and collaborative discussion among the School’s many constituents. In recent years, the School has made significant investments in campus upgrades to improve energy efficiency, air quality, and public safety. Other major campus enhancements have included the creation of flexible, multi-functional learning spaces in the areas of performing arts, athletics, and technology.
Bancroft School seeks an Upper School (grades 9-12) Math Teacher to join our dynamic team of educators for the 2022-23 school year. The ability to teach any level of Upper School college-preparatory mathematics is preferred. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to engage students in meaningful inquiry, problem solving, and collaborative exploration.
Bancroft’s desire to expand its emphasis on inquiry-based education provides opportunities for creative approaches to teaching and learning. Experience in designing and implementing projects is a plus as we continually develop and refine curriculum. Technological savvy is a necessity as each Upper School student and teacher utilizes personal technology both inside and outside of the classroom. A degree in mathematics or mathematics education is strongly preferred.
- Teach multiple sections and various levels of college preparatory mathematics – this includes all aspects of planning, instruction and assessment.
- Consistent and regular communication with students, parents, and advisors.
- Promote social and emotional growth by serving as an advisor to a group of students.
- In addition to classroom teaching, the position includes participation in all aspects of Upper School life, including coaching, club leadership, and advising.
- Serve as a full community member by attending weekly faculty meetings, sitting on committees, participating in admissions activities and covering duties and other routine faculty responsibilities.
- Engage in professional development to enhance inclusive teaching and leadership practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Math, Math Education, or STEM field
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- Experience in and enthusiasm for implementing inquiry-based learning in STEM
- Ability to differentiate instruction
- Candidates must have familiarity with online learning platforms and technology such as Zoom and Google Meet
Essential Attitudes & Aptitudes
- A collaborative spirit
- A willingness to participate and partner with colleagues on cultural and curricular initiatives
- An understanding of and love for Upper School aged students
Bancroft is committed to cultivating and sustaining a community that embraces difference and welcomes candidates who will add to the racial and cultural diversity of our community. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, personal statement, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org