Upper School Math Teacher
Thayer Academy, Braintree, MA
Thayer Academy’s Upper School seeks a student-focused collaborator to teach in its Upper School Math Department for the 2024-2025 school year. This full-time academic year (mid August-mid June) position includes instructing four math classes (e.g., algebra, geometry, and calculus) and participating in the life of the school with students through advising, coaching, and/or supervising student activities.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Teach a combination of Math classes to 9th-12th graders (4 classes total). Possible courses could include Algebra, Geometry, and Calculus.
- Advise a group of 8-10 students.
- Apply practices in the classroom and other settings that foster equity, inclusion, and belonging among Thayer Academy community members.
- Serve as an athletic coach for one or more seasons (preferred).
- Participate in ongoing professional development and engage in growth opportunities.
- A bachelor’s degree required, Masters (or higher) preferred in Education, Math or a related field
- 3-5 years of teaching experience at the high school level preferred
- Passion for working with adolescents and desire to build relationships
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in the classroom, in curriculum, and relationships with members of the school community
- High level of comfort and experience with technology in an educational setting
- Willingness to work on a team in a collaborative department
- Ability to communicate and listen effectively with students and families
- Commitment to building a reflective teaching practice and an innovative approach to classroom pedagogy
- Interest in engaging in ongoing dialogue with division leadership, department head, and colleagues about best teaching and learning practices
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, their families, and colleagues
- Ability to teach Computer Programming
Please click here to complete an application and upload your resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three to five references, including two present or past supervisors.
Equal Opportunity Act: Thayer Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy complies with and adheres to all state and federal anti-discrimination laws with respect to its employment practices. Thayer Academy does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin or ancestry, age, or disability, or any other category protected under state or federal law. This policy extends to recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, assignment, working conditions, promotions, transfers, termination, re-employment, education, tuition assistance, employee treatment, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. All employment-related decisions are made on a nondiscriminatory basis so as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity.
Americans with Disabilities Act: Thayer Academy complies with all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws. This means that we will not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability in any phase of the employment relationship including application for employment, hiring, promotions and/or advancement opportunities, termination, compensation, training, and any other conditions or privileges of employment.