Upper School Math Faculty with Computer Science and Engineering Focus
The Putney School, Putney, VT
The Putney School
Math Faculty Position with Computer Science and Engineering Focus
The Putney School has an opening for a math teacher focused on computer science and engineering starting in the 2023-2024 school year. This position will include a mixture of computer science and engineering classes, as well as “core” mathematical classes in the Algebra 1 to Calculus sequence and other responsibilities described below.
Putney is a progressive, co-educational boarding school of 220 students located in Putney, Vermont. We are committed to cultivating and sustaining an educational community that values difference. Our commitment to social justice work is embedded in our stated Fundamental Beliefs. The ideal candidate will be eager to participate in anti-racist work and use an inclusive, social justice lens in their work with all students and adults on campus. Building a just and inclusive community is a shared responsibility, and Putney supports all its employees in developing this critical skill set.)
This video provides some perspective on math at The Putney School.
The job includes:
- Academic duties include teaching four class sections, working with students in independent, project-based work and senior exhibitions; conferencing regularly with students; writing detailed reports on student performance.
- Duties in the student activity program – including athletics, the arts, and the work program.
- Residential duties and advising duties for 6-8 students.
The ideal candidate:
- Has interest and demonstrated ability in teaching and supporting adolescents, flexibility, energy, collegiality, and the ability to work effectively with a team.
- Is able to teach to a wide range of student abilities and levels
- Has experience teaching computer science and/or engineering coursework to students
- Has experience teaching material up to and including calculus to high school students
- Has experience with extensions to the canonical high school curriculum, e.g. robotics, computer programming, financial math, etc.
- Is interested in collaborating with colleagues to develop innovative pedagogies
Please send a note, resumé and list of references to: