Upper School English Teacher
Milton Academy, Milton, MA
Upper School English Teacher
About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
About the Position:
Milton Academy seeks a full-time Upper School (grades 9-12) English teacher to begin in August 2023. We seek candidates who demonstrate student-centered, innovative teaching practices and a commitment to anti-racist values and pedagogy. The department teaches literature through close reading. In encountering and discussing literature, students develop cultural wisdom, empathy, and an eye towards truth and beauty on the page and in our world. The department’s approach to writing cultivates the control of and appreciation for language as a means of authentic self-expression.
- Teach four classes focused on literature and writing in the English department.
- Plan, develop, and implement an engaging English curriculum that incorporates elements of culture and diversity.
- Provide students in the classroom with effective, meaningful and regular feedback
- Document and communicate student academic progress to students, parents and advisors.
- Serve as an advisor to a group of up to 7 students.
- Community/Student Life
- Actively participate in greater community enrichment activities outside of a typical school day (sponsor student clubs, coach athletic teams, advise affinity groups, etc.)
- Assume supervisory and responsibilities as assigned, including some weekend chaperone duties
- Faculty members residing on campus typically live and work in a dormitory, and all have responsibilities in the residential program on evenings and weekends.
Milton Academy is an equal-opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.