Upper School Counselor, Leave (AY23-24)
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Director of Student Support Services
BB&N is seeking an Upper School Counselor to provide part or full-time coverage for a leave of absence starting immediately with a flexible end date. Responsibilities include working with the school counseling team in coordinating and providing clinical and counseling support services for the students in 9 through 12. The Counselor works closely with faculty, parents, and administrators to create a network of student support. This position is an on-campus role.
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate will have at least 3-5 years of experience in counseling, with a strong preference for experience in a school environment. An advanced degree and licensure is required either in counseling, social work, or school psychology.
In addition, the Counselor will demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
- Developing and maintaining trusting relationships with students
- Developing and maintaining trusting relationships with families
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with faculty and administration
- Understanding of child development
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Knowledge and commitment around diversity, equity, and inclusion practices
- Knowledge of and ability to work effectively with cross-cultural populations
- Self starter – working independently without day-to-day supervision
- Ability to facilitate Crisis intervention
- Maintaining confidentiality; using discretion
- Support of the institution’s mission
- Advocacy for counseling issues in the school community
- Understand and exhibit high standards of professional conduct
Salary: $1,500.00 – $2,600.00 per week
Please visit the Careers at BB&N page to complete your online application. Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally-appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N is an academically excellent, diverse, and inclusive community where students develop into lifelong learners who lead with kindness, curiosity, and integrity. We prepare students to be responsible and open-minded as they engage with the world around them. Our school is guided by the core values of:
- Inquiry, in which we promote curiosity and critical thinking to inspire a lifelong love of learning. Integrity, in which we strive to be honest, conscientious, and accountable in our actions even when no one is watching.
- Belonging, in which we foster a culture of respect, well-being, and connection that values all individuals and empowers them to discover and be their authentic selves, and
- Kindness, in which we strengthen our communities by recognizing our common humanity and treating ourselves and others with respect and compassion.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages, and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.