Upper School Counselor and Wellness Coordinator
Shore Country Day School, Beverly, MA
Start date: Week of August 21, 2023 (orientation week for new employees)
Status: Part Time (80%), Exempt, 10-month Faculty, On-campus
Reports to: Head of Upper School
Using PDF format, please send a resumé and a cover letter describing how you meet the below criteria to email@example.com.
The role of the Upper School Counselor at Shore requires a motivated, child-focused individual with effective communication and interpersonal skills and a commitment to supporting students and their families promoting mental health, stress management, and general adolescent wellness.
In living out our Equity and Inclusion Commitment, we encourage candidates of all backgrounds, abilities, and lived experiences to apply, including candidates of color, candidates who are members of the LGBTQ+ community, neurodivergent candidates, multilingual candidates, and other candidates from historically underrepresented communities.
- Provide short-term counseling to students in grades six through nine
- Offer consultation and support to caregivers on the emotional health and wellbeing of students, including appropriate referrals and coordinating treatment with outside therapists
- Serve as a resource to faculty and administration on adolescent mental health and related student concerns, including best practices for supporting students
- Collaborate with the LIFE (Living Intentionally For Everyone) Seminar committee to develop and teach curriculum on a range of topics including anti-bias education, mental health, wellness, and adolescent development for grades six through nine
- Provide crisis response and intervention as needed
- Support health & wellness education by identifying appropriate outside speakers and managing the logistics of their engagements with the school
- Support the development of student groups and programs that foster wellness and belonging (e.g. affinity groups based on social identity)
- Work collaboratively with the Student Support Services team to develop and implement support plans for students with identified learning difference
Skills and Competencies:
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in counseling, psychology or social work and a minimum of three years of relevant clinical experience providing counseling/therapy services
- License or license-eligible in Massachusetts
- Experience with crisis assessment and intervention, working with adolescents across the spectrum of neurodiversity, and knowledge of the ethical and legal considerations for counseling practices
- Strong proficiency with culturally responsive practice and pedagogy
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Candidates with experience in a wide range of wellness and/or mindfulness practices will be prioritized
Shore Country Day School (Boston Metropolitan area) is a Pre-K – Grade 9 independent day school serving students of all social identities. Our commitment to anti-racist and culturally responsive teaching, staff, and administrative practices are the privilege and responsibility of every member of the Shore Community. All employees are supported through mentoring, significant professional development opportunities, and a culture of intentionality for individual belonging and innovation.
- Video of Shore leaders discussing worklife, courtesy of Strategenius.
- Employment page with Videos of Shore teachers and students.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Shore Country Day School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.