Toddler Assistant Teacher
Cambridge Montessori School, Cambridge, MA
Toddler Assistant Teacher (Fulltime)
Located in the heart of Cambridge, MA, Cambridge Montessori School is a coeducational independent day school currently enrolling students from toddler through grade eight. Since 1963, CMS has served Cambridge and surrounding towns. CMS is a dynamic, international community, which reflects the diverse culture and rich educational resources of the region and enrolls students from over 20 different countries. Cambridge Montessori School is accredited by the American Montessori Society and the Association of Independent Schools in New England, and is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and Montessori Schools of Massachusetts. CMS educates the whole child, applying the Montessori philosophy in a joyful learning environment. We partner with our diverse community, using authentic Montessori principles, to reveal each child’s innate love of learning and prepare our children to thrive in a complex world.
Cambridge Montessori School is seeking a full time Toddler Assistant Teacher. Applicants must have previous experience working with young children. EEC certification or related coursework is desirable. Montessori school experience is preferred, but not required. Assistant teachers will be expected to support the smooth daily routines and operation of a small class of students, ages 21 months to 3.5 years old. Assistant teachers will work under the guidance of a credentialed lead teacher to ensure a high quality Montessori learning experience for all children.
We seek flexible, imaginative, creative teachers who can effectively plan and problem solve with a team. The ability to understand and willingness to work with a range of learning styles is required. We expect our faculty to be involved and active in the school community. A confident, professional demeanor and a sense of humor are important characteristics. Candidates must be able to communicate effectively with students, parents, colleagues and others. Above all, a strong respect for and love of children is essential to function effectively in this child centered environment.
Our school is located in three buildings (Toddler/Primary, Elementary, and Middle School) all close to beautiful Danehy Park offering ample outdoor opportunities for our students and staff. We work to incorporate regular interactions between our staff and students in all three buildings. We have an active family association and community events are regularly scheduled throughout the year.
- Experience in a Montessori environment is desirable but not required
- EEC licensed or willingness to be licensed
- Commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- CORI/SORI check will be required before joining our team
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination required (official medical or religious exemption accepted)
This position is for the 2022-2023 academic year, September through June. Salary is based on experience and background. The school offers a competitive benefits package. We are seeking a long-term commitment to the school.
Professional Development and Training
- CPR certification training will be provided to all new staff who do not have existing and/or current certification
- Professional development opportunities are scheduled and available to all staff throughout the school year
- Montessori philosophy and pedagogy training provided during orientation week and throughout the school year.
- Membership to the American Montessori Society is provided and staff members are encouraged to take advantage of the resources and opportunities that membership offers.
- Parking is provided
- All three of our buildings are convenient to MBTA transit via bus and the red line (Alewife, Porter, and Davis stations)
- Competitive salary
- Built-in planning time
- Receive school vacation weeks and most holidays off closely following the Cambridge Public School calendar
- Personal/sick days
- Health/dental/vision insurance
- HRA plan (CMS will fund the first $800 towards deductible expenses)
- Life and AD&D coverage is provided at no cost. New staff are automatically enrolled in the plan when first eligible.
- 403B retirement plan (eligible after working one year)
- Healthcare FSA plan, dependent care FSA plan, and transit commuter benefit plans available
- Short Term Disability (STD) and Long Term Disability (LTD) plans – which includes EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- Voluntary benefits offered through Aflac which include Accident Insurance, Cancer protection, Hospital Confinement, and Lump sum critical illness
- Discounted pet insurance
Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Bailey Turner, Director of Toddler and Primary Programs
Cambridge Montessori School is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA+ people, and people who come from low income or working-class backgrounds. All potential applicants are strongly encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws. CMS is a non-sectarian institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, national or cultural origin, sexual orientation, family style, political belief, or disability in the administration of its admissions, financial assistance, education or employment practices.