Technical Support Specialist
Moses Brown School, Providence, RI
Moses Brown School
Staff Position Job Description
Title: Technical Support Specialist
Reports to: Director of Technology
Job Type: Non-Exempt Hourly
Purpose/Objective: The Technical Support Specialist position provides the Technology Department a resource who is flexible in their day-to-day workload. Applicants should expect to provide support of multi-user operating systems, hardware and software tools, including installation, configuration, maintenance and support of these systems. They will also provide support for the school’s data projects and initiatives, and perform other duties as required by the Technology Department.
- Work as a part of the IT team to ensure a high level of service and support to all users.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware, software, and connectivity problems, including user access and network configuration.
- Assist students as appropriate. Provide end user support, as well as other duties as required by the Technology Department.
- Provide technical support of Moses Brown hardware and software to faculty, staff and students. Provide guidance for student owned hardware and software when appropriate.
- Inventory management – add items to Moses Brown’s new inventory system, set up alerts for e.g. low quantities.
- Act as secondary/backup support for printers, copiers, audio/visual setups, classroom projectors, and Middle School iPad/Chromebook program.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware, software, and network connectivity problems. Document system problems and resolutions for future reference.
- Provide computer orientation to new faculty & staff. Provide ongoing training as required to existing staff and faculty.
- Work with SIS and related systems to assist administrative departments. Act as Tier 1 support for issues that arise, and/or as a liaison to SIS vendor’s support when needed.
Scope: Responsibilities encompass the entire School, including all 175 administrators, staff, and faculty serving 750+ students across a thirty acre campus and virtually. Responsibilities may occasionally require evening and weekend work in response to needs of the technology systems being supported.
Applicants should have 1-3 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Experience in a school environment is a plus.
Specific Skills, Knowledge and Soft Skills:
- Ability to quickly learn and support new hardware, software, operating and data systems.
- Experience with Windows and Google Domains, PC desktop and laptop hardware, as well as OS X and iOS based devices.
- Experience with MDM implementations and management is a plus.
- Understanding of basic network management practices and procedures, as well as security protocols.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw proper conclusions. Ability to prioritize between multiple issues and decide on the best course of action to bring them to resolution.
- Experience with Access, Excel spreadsheets, CSV manipulation, etc a plus.
- Experience with an SIS system, particularly Blackbaud/WhippleHill, a plus.
- Ability to communicate technical guidance and instruction to users. Ability to write technical instructions for non-technical audiences.
- Maintain utmost confidentiality with regard to the information being processed, stored or accessed.
- Use interpersonal skills to work with a variety of constituencies. Professionally and successfully interact with students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, volunteers, and vendors.
About Moses Brown School: Moses Brown is a 236-year old co-educational independent day school enrolling 750 students nursery through twelfth grade. A Friends school, MB exists to inspire children to reach their full intellectual and spiritual potential. We engage students in a rich academic curriculum, a broad offering of arts and athletics, and a daily life rooted in the Quaker values of community, equality, and service. We affirm the Quaker belief that there is an inner light in each person that is worthy of dignity and respect. We consider simplicity, integrity, group wisdom, and respect for differences to be paramount in helping students of all faiths and backgrounds discover their identity and mission in the world. In its hiring practices, Moses Brown deliberately seeks to maximize the diversity of the school (in terms of class, gender, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, abilities/disabilities, and language).