Teaching Intern – Theater (Sound/Design)
Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, NH
The Department of Theater and Dance at Phillips Exeter Academy is seeking a Sound Design & A/V Intern for the ’23-’24 academic year, who is proficient in sound design for theater & dance, knowledgeable of sound equipment and A/V equipment, sound reinforcement, and comfortable mentoring student tech crews and proctors. The theater and dance program produce 3 theatrical productions (including 1 musical) and 3 dance concerts per year in any of 3 performance spaces in the Goel Center for Theater & Dance. Additional one-time events may also require technical assistance.
Incumbent is expected to work with a high level of independence and autonomy and exercise a high degree of initiative. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Sound design and engineering for all productions in the Goel Center.
- Run sound/microphones for all musicals and events in the Goel Center.
- Record and/or livestream all theater and dance events.
- Maintain all A/V and film equipment in the Goel Center.
- Provide projection design/implementation as needed for theater and dance productions.
While individual responsibilities will vary from one position to another, the major job duties of all teaching interns generally include the following:
- Cultural Competency: Faculty are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Residential Life: Faculty generally reside in campus housing and play a critical role in cultivating Exeter’s community-centered student dormitory life. Each faculty member is generally responsible for one weekend a month and one to two week-nights of dormitory duty per week, depending on the dormitory size.
- Extracurricular Activities: Faculty are generally expected to participate in the school’s extracurricular activities (e.g. coaching, advising student clubs, and/or committee work).
- Must have knowledge of theatrical sound design and equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater or sound design preferred.
- Experience with sound design.
- Experience with basic sound engineering and operation.
- Knowledge of sound recording and video equipment, including DAW’s and editing programs.
- Knowledge of Crestron control systems and Dante networking.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Knowledge and experience with current theater technology.
- Knowledge of up-to-date theatre safety policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Skilled in critical thinking.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including stressful situations.
- Criminal background check
- Driving Record Check
- COVID Vaccine Policy: Phillips Exeter Academy requires all community members without a medical or religious exemption to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters. *With the exception of a PEA-approved medical or religious exemption.
- May be exposed to dust, electrical hazards from construction of stage sets, and high voltage.
- May occasionally need to use special tools.