Dexter Southfield School, Brookline, MA
Dexter Southfield is an independent day school where boys and girls in Pre-K through Class 12 develop their individual talents and build an ethical foundation for life. Students learn to lead and serve with character, confidence, and compassion. Our 36-acre campus is located on the Brookline-Boston line, just minutes from the city’s best museums, libraries, hospitals, performing arts venues, colleges, and universities—all of which serve as an extension of our classrooms. At Dexter Southfield, we approach everything we do with enthusiasm and commitment, living by our school’s motto: “Our Best Today, Better Tomorrow.”
Our Teaching Fellow Program
Dexter Southfield’s Teaching Fellow Program is designed to provide those new or early in their teaching careers with opportunities to gain experience through assignments in academics, athletics, and/or other areas of school life. Our one- and two-year fellowships offer tuition reimbursement for educators pursuing or completing their graduate studies. If you are looking to launch your academic career in one of the region’s most respected independent schools with premier programming and facilities, this role offers you a unique opportunity to learn and grow while gaining teaching experience.
Teaching Fellows are appointed by division –lower (PreK-5), middle (6-8), and upper (9-12) – and are assigned a faculty mentor and supported by the division head. They meet on a regular basis to learn from one another and share their experiences. Depending on the grade levels served, assignments may include several subjects or be focused on a particular area of interest. Fellows typically coach interscholastic or intramural sports for two or three seasons of the academic year. Ongoing mentoring and professional development are provided to prepare Teaching Fellows for full-time teaching roles.
- Bachelor’s degree and an interest in pursuing a career in education
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) and establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and parents
- Ability to collaborate in planning developing, and conducting lessons and other instruction
- Ability to support and contribute to an engaging and inclusive learning environment and workplace with high expectations that promotes integrity, respect, and goodwill
- Commitment to continued education and professional development
- Ability to be flexible, effectively manage stress, and adapt to changing work priorities and assignments
At Dexter Southfield, we promote a culture of excellence that extends beyond academics, athletics, and the arts. We value a diverse and inclusive community in which different identities and perspectives are respected to create a sense of belonging for all.
To apply for this position, please apply online through our Careers page at www.dextersouthfield.org/careers.