(STEAM) Science Teacher
The Cambridge School of Weston, Weston, MA
Full-time Science Teacher
Date Posted: March 7, 2022 Starting Date: August 15, 2022
Job Description: 10-month, full-time, faculty position
The Cambridge School of Weston seeks a full-time science teacher for the 2022-2023 school year to teach a variety of science courses for grades 9 through 12, as well as participate in the community beyond the classroom. Specific courses may include integrated physical science STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) courses, 9th-grade Biology, and various biology and chemistry courses based on interest and experience. A successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills; will value progressive, student-centered education; will demonstrate an ability to make strong connections with students; will be passionate about teaching creative students with a variety of learning styles in a boarding and day school environment; and will have experience in differentiating and working in multiple modalities. Applicants should be well versed in culturally responsive teaching practices and be interested in further developing their cultural competencies and equity literacy skills. Applicants must also be interested and adept in teaching science through an anti-racist lens. In addition to these qualifications, our ideal candidate values collaboration among colleagues in our vibrant, art-infused school. A strong candidate will also add to the diversity of perspectives within the department.
Specific Responsibilities for this Position Include:
- Teach 13 blocks over the school year; there are six modules meaning there will be two to three courses per module. Classes meet four to five days a week for 90 minutes. Courses include “STEAM: Chemistry,” “STEAM: Physics,” introductory biology (“BioChemistry” and “BioConnections”), and additional science courses based on experience.
- Plan, develop, and execute lessons that showcase innovation, creativity, and a passion for the art of teaching while also utilizing distinctive instructional approaches that best serve the students’ long-term interests.
- Utilize the lab safely and effectively to incorporate experimentation, observation, collaboration, and problem-solving into the learning experience.
- Evaluate students’ ability to meet course standards in scientific knowledge and skills. Document and communicate progress to students, advisors, and parents/guardians regarding academic progress in the course.
- Participate in weekly departmental meetings prepared to discuss student concerns, teaching pedagogy, professional development, and curriculum developments.
- Demonstrate a willingness and interest to learn and share new pedagogical techniques and develop specific curricular expertise. Read and stay abreast of current topics in science education and engage Science teaching faculty in discussions on new perspectives.
- Offer two blocks of “D Block,” our after-school activities, enrichment, and athletics program, with a preference given to those willing and able to support team sports
- Advise up to eight students
- Participate in our co-curricular PACE programming. Through the PACE program (Promoting Awareness and Community Engagement), we dedicate time during the mod and the year for experiential classes, events, and activities that prepare our students to meet the demands of an increasingly complex and diverse world. A four-year co-curriculum, PACE has been designed to ensure that all CSW students develop self-awareness, social consciousness, healthy living habits, life skills, and leadership that will serve them into adulthood
- Participate in up to two alliance/affinity groups, student clubs, or committees
- Chaperone two weekend activities each year to support our boarding students
- CSW also values candidates who are interested and/or have experience with the residential life program (housing provided)
Skills and Qualifications*:
- Bachelor of arts degree or equivalent required; master’s degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of two years of teaching experience preferred
- Background in biology and/or chemistry teaching required, background in coding, computer science, and STEM teaching preferred
- Comfort and passion for hands-on coursework and assessment
- Facility with current and emerging technology in the classroom
- A desire to learn more and to innovate within the science curriculum
- Strong interpersonal communication skills for interaction with students, staff, and parents
*The qualifications and skills listed here are representative of what is necessary to effectively perform the essential duties. The list is intended to be illustrative but not comprehensive.
To Apply for This Position:
Please send a résumé, cover letter, and three references to ScienceSearch@csw.org. No phone calls, please.
Deadline for Application:
The position will remain open until filled.
A leader among America’s progressive independent schools, The Cambridge School of Weston (CSW) has been at the forefront of educational innovation since 1886. At this day and boarding high school located in Weston MA, creative, motivated students embrace challenging work and address complex questions — with curiosity and courage. Inspired by the diverse perspectives and high expectations of our justice-minded community, they find and develop what is extraordinary in themselves and in the world around them. CSW’s mission is to provide a progressive education that emphasizes deep learning, meaningful relationships, and a dynamic program that inspires students to discover who they are and what their contribution is to their school, their community and the world.
The Cambridge School of Weston does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law. We are an equal opportunity employer and we encourage candidates who will increase our diversity to apply.