Staff Accountant & Full Charge Bookkeeper
Beacon Hill Nursery School, Boston, MA
Full Charge Bookkeeper/Staff Accountant
Department: Business Office
Job Category: FSLA Exempt – .65 FTE
Work Schedule: Part-Time, on-site, and remote
Position Summary: The Full Charge Bookkeeper/Staff Accountant reports to the Director of Finance & Operations and is responsible for, but not limited to, maintaining the day-to-day accounting functions, GL postings, accrued expenses, payroll and benefits, and performing general accounting functions for a two-person, fast paced non-profit nursery school business office.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Processes business office transactions, including student billing, cash receipts, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and posts all with appropriate G/L coding into the General Ledger.
- Ensures accuracy of financial and other business records, timely and efficient processing of transactions.
- Records accounting transactions in ledgers using financial databases, spreadsheets and software.
- Performs account reconciliations, researching and resolving discrepancies particularly for revenue, deferred revenue, accounts receivable, accounts payable, prepaid expenses, payroll and benefits.
- Assists in audit preparation.
- Completes annual benefits census and other surveys as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Self-motivated, organized, and a quick learner.
- Is committed to high standards and customer service
- Recommends initiatives and implements changes to improve quality and services.
- Maintains contact with parents, administration, faculty, and/or other stakeholders and is open to feedback for improved services.
- Maximizes productivity through use of appropriate tools, planned training and performance initiatives.
- Ensures completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of all operational functions.
- Prepares and submits reports as requested and required.
- Develops and implements guidelines to support the functions of the Business Office.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required or preferred.
- General Ledger – Solid QuickBooks skills are essential.
- Experience using an HRMS/HRIS required. ADP WFN knowledge preferred.
- Microsoft Office – Strong proficiency in Word and Excel
- GSuite – Proficient in Gmail, Shared Drives, Numbers, and Sheets
- Accounting Knowledge – Working knowledge of chart of accounts and generally accepted accounting principles. Strong knowledge of financial statement review and analysis, reconciliation skills, debit and credit accounting.
- Technology– Strong ability to apply technology solutions and learn new tools to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Office Administration – Strong ability to process paperwork timely, maintain an effective filing system, alphabetic filing, etc.
- A willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the Beacon Hill Nursery school community.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills; able to manage priorities and workflow to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Available and willing to work modified hours as necessary.
- Works well independently and in teams
- Proficiency in accounting programs and related software
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- High level of integrity and trustworthiness
- Excellent interpersonal skills; professional demeanor
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required education and experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, and 7+ years of related experience preferred non-profit experience a plus.
Work is performed primarily in an office, at a desk, using a computer, and working remotely. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in office settings and maybe moderate in other situations.