Special Services Coordinator
Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Fryeburg Academy, a 650-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks a special services coordinator to begin March 1, 2024. This full-time position involves overseeing all special education programs at Fryeburg Academy and leading an engaged department which includes six full-time faculty members, a school psychologist, and several educational aids. The coordinator will acquaint him/herself with each student in the program and work closely with faculty, families, and the local school administrative unit to ensure that Fryeburg Academy meets the needs of students with learning differences and/or disabilities. Reporting to the Director of Studies, the coordinator will provide program leadership that is innovative, supportive, and collaborative.
This position involves participation in the Academy’s residential boarding program The Academy is, therefore, looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish, through commitment to a variety of roles, to strengthen its community.
Κnowledge, Skills, Dispositions
- Interpret and implement Chapter 101 and IDEA regulations
- Manage the special education referral/screening process
- Work with the Admission Office and incoming families to assess students’ needs
- Determine eligibility for special education services based on evaluations and State of Maine regulations
- Plan and coordinate staffing needs of the department; assign caseloads; carry a reduced caseload
- Support and guide special services department members; evaluate their performance
- Evaluate students; write academic evaluations
- Facilitate Individualized Education Plan meetings for each student who receives special services
- Develop rubrics to use for writing students goals in the areas of executive functioning, self-advocacy, positive school behaviors, reading comprehension and writing skills
- Direct and design departmental curriculum that meets the special needs of students
- Educate and collaborate with faculty to ensure comprehensive support for students with learning differences and/or disabilities
- Work closely with school counselors and deans in assessing and guiding individual students
- Work with the local school district to ensure implementation of IEPs
- Manage the College Board Student Services with Disabilities accommodation process
Qualifying Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Maine Department of Education Certification 282 or 030
- Working knowledge of Maine Department of Education Special Education Regulations (Chapter 101) and IDEA
- Five years of teaching experience and/or administrative experience in the field of special education
- Strong understanding of adolescents, learning differences, and learning disabilities
- Proficiency at reading psycho-educational testing results
- Current knowledge of learning differences/disabilities and educational trends
- Ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with students, faculty, parents and external resources
- Ability to initiate actions with minimal supervision and maximum discernment
- Excellent leadership, organizational and communication skills
- All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record Check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit the following documents in PDF format: application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references. Fryeburg Academy’s application can be accessed by either visiting the employment page of Fryeburg Academy’s website or by requesting one from the Business Office. Application documents can be emailed to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).