Special Education Co-Teacher
Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Fryeburg Academy, a 625-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an innovative Special Education co-teacher.
This full-time position involves:
- Providing co-taught differentiated instruction and behavioral intervention in a small-group mixed regular- and special-ed setting.
- Meeting the functional and academic needs for a caseload of identified special education students as a member of each student’s wraparound team.
- Developing and implementing varied strategies for increasing student engagement in co-taught classes.
- Leading the IEP team process to develop IEPs in a timely manner, including data-driven, observable, and measurable goals.
Fryeburg faculty have responsibilities connected with the school’s boarding program. The Academy is therefore looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish, through commitment to a variety of roles, to strengthen its community. Experience working with students outside of the classroom – tutoring, coaching, in a residential or camp setting, or as an activity advisor – is a plus.
Κnowledge, Skills, Dispositions
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Ability to establish positive, supportive relationships with students, parents, and colleagues
- Skilled in planning and supporting differentiated instruction and assessment in a co-teaching model
- Skilled in connecting and building relationships with students
- Demonstrated, proactive skills in communication and problem-solving
- Detail orientation and developed organizational habits
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
- A willingness to work with students of all backgrounds and abilities
Qualifying Education and Experience
- Master’s degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree and MDOE 282 certification, or eligibility for Maine certification (if not certified in Maine), required.
- Experience with working with students in a co-taught environment or small group setting is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit an application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references. Fryeburg Academy’s application can be accessed by either visiting the employment page of Fryeburg Academy’s website or by requesting one from the Business Office. Application documents can be emailed to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).