Spanish Teacher: Maternity Leave (¾-time to Full-Time)
Meridian Academy, Boston, MA
Grades: 6 – 12
Job Begins: March 14, 2022
We are seeking to hire a teacher to teach three sections of middle and high school Spanish at the Intermediate and Advanced levels, none of which has more than 9 students. Classes meet for 45 minutes each day.
Meridian’s curriculum is interdisciplinary and investigation-based. Student problem-posing and analyses are the starting point for long-term, original, creative efforts and research. For more information regarding our Spanish curriculum, please visit www.meridianacademy.org/world-languages.
Meridian Academy is an urban, independent, secondary school in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston, MA. We serve an economically and racially diverse student body. Our classes have 16 or fewer students.
- Teaching three sections of Spanish at different ability levels.
- Emphasizing the development of oral communication skills and written proficiency in the target language.
- Teaching curriculum that includes activities that help students develop academic skills, make connections between ideas, master essential knowledge, and grow in their curiosity and creativity.
- Teachers are supported with curricula that include long-term projects that the department has developed and are also able to introduce their own units that meet the goals of each course.
Qualifications for any Candidate:
- Fluent speaker and writer of Spanish.
- Two or more years teaching Spanish at the secondary level is preferred, but not required.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related discipline. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Familiarity with the ACTFL Standards is preferred.
- A flexible and energetic personality that can work productively in a changing and growing school environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills when working with diverse students and families.
How to Apply:
- Consult our website to learn more about the school and to gain a fuller picture of the goals and philosophy of Meridian Academy.
- Send a résumé and cover letter describing your teaching philosophy with a discussion of some of your work with students to Joshua Abrams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Head of School
Curiosity • Creativity • Community
54 Brookside Avenue
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
Meridian Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, handicap, or any legally protected class in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, hiring, and other school-administered programs.