Social Studies and English Teacher
Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Fryeburg Academy, a 650-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an innovative Social Studies teacher beginning late August 2024. This full-time position involves teaching five classes during both the first and second semesters. Social studies teaching assignments may include both American studies and non-Western history; English teaching assignments may include 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade and be at a variety of levels. The last three weeks of each school year are a stand-alone period called May Term during which teachers offer non-traditional classes focusing on experiential learning or using knowledge in new contexts.
All full-time teachers serve as an advisor for a group of 12-14 students for their four years of high school.
This position also involves participation in the Academy’s residential program as a dorm team member. The Academy is, therefore, looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish, through commitment to a variety of roles, to strengthen its community.
Knowledge, Skills, Dispositions
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Ability to work with, encourage, and inspire students to seek continuous growth
- A willingness to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of abilities
- An understanding of how students learn
- Ability and desire to plan high-quality instruction, assess student learning, reflect on pedagogical effectiveness, and adjust approach as needed
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
Qualifying Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in history or related field required; master’s degree preferred
- Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience and developed, varied strategies for teaching social studies and/or English.
- Experience working with students outside of the classroom (e.g. tutoring, coaching, in a residential or camp setting, or as an activity advisor) is a plus.
- All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record Check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit the following documents in PDF format: application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references. Fryeburg Academy’s application can be accessed by either visiting the employment page of Fryeburg Academy’s website or by requesting one from the Business Office. Application documents can be emailed to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).