Soccer Coach (Grades 5-8)
Fayerweather Street School, Cambridge, MA
Reports to: Director of Extended Day Programs & Intramural Sports Coordinator
Hours: Part-Time; 4-6 hours per week
Rate: 1750-2000 stipend; commensurate with experience
We are seeking a Soccer Coach to lead either our Boys 5th-8th or our Girls 5th-8th soccer teams. The coach will teach soccer fundamentals, encourage teamwork & camaraderie in competition, and foster development in physical fitness and continuous growth in skill. The coach provides the opportunity for a safe, positive and enjoyable experience for student participants.
Successful candidates will have experience working with athletes of varying ability in various age groups, and be passionate about sports as a gateway for improved communication, relationship building, and physical fitness. Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion, in all aspects of physical education.
For the right candidate, we would consider hiring one coach to oversee both teams at an increased rate.
- Supervise & lead practices. Team meets twice a week to practice.
- Teach soccer skills, techniques, rules, strategies, and tactics for gameplay
- Condition players so that they may be prepared for healthy competition
- Teach & inspire sportsmanship, commitment, work ethic, and cooperation
- Supervise & coach matches at both home and away games
- Maintain a safe, welcoming, and friendly environment for all students
- Observe basic safety procedures, and provide basic first aid when appropriate
- Manage uniforms, equipment, and facilities
- Establish & manage behavioral expectations
- Ensure safe student dismissal to families/guardians
- Regular check-in meetings with Director of Extended Day & Intramural Sports Coordinator
- Work with the Director of Extended Day & Intramural Sports Coordinator to maintain accurate and registration and attendance records
Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Adaptability, flexibility, and ability to modify programming when necessary
- Ability to respond efficiently and effectively in an emergency situation
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Self-motivated and organized with an intention to detail, commitment, and follow-through
- Demonstrates strong cultural awareness and responsiveness, as well as experience supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Values a strong community built upon authentic relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and previous coaching experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Candidates must have experience working with school-age children in a sports, childcare, school, or camp setting
- CPR, First Aid, HEADS UP to Youth Sports certification, or willingness to complete these certifications
- Prospective employees must pass all necessary background checks
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (aside from medical & religious exceptions)
Schedule: Girls: Monday & Thursday 3:15-5:15
Boys: Tuesday & Friday 3:15-5:15
Weekday Game Schedule TBA
Fayerweather Street School Fayerweather Street School has a rich and progressive history of successfully educating students for over 50 years. Fayerweather Street School (FSS) is a co-educational independent day school enrolling approximately 200 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade. Located in the Fresh Pond neighborhood in Cambridge, Fayerweather offers a progressive, hands-on experiential learning environment where the pace of childhood is respected, and where children develop a love of learning, know how they learn best, and have voice and agency in their school community. We help young people develop the knowledge, skills and awareness to flourish in a complex, diverse and increasingly interdependent world. We believe that truly knowing each child is the heart of a great education, and we are committed to building a diverse, welcoming and equitable community in which compassion, humor and respect are woven throughout the curriculum and spirit of the day.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: SOCCER COACH. Please be prepared to provide at least two references, and at least one of your references must be, or have been, your direct supervisor.