Bancroft School, Worcester, MA
About Bancroft School
Bancroft School is a community of students, faculty, administrators, and parents working together to create an atmosphere of engaged and active learning where students discover their unique paths with joy and confidence. Students are empowered to celebrate and deepen their curricular excellence and embrace their talents to emerge as leaders, humanitarians, and globally engaged citizens.
Bancroft is a PreK – Grade 12 independent day school located in Worcester, Massachusetts — a thriving city with a rich history and a bright future and one in which the school is deeply invested. Founded in 1900, the School’s 30-acre campus is in a residential neighborhood north of downtown Worcester. 400 students come from 63 cities and towns around central Massachusetts and represent a wide variety of different backgrounds and experiences that contribute to the unique and diverse learning environment. The school is committed to cultivating a community that embraces diversity and an inclusive campus in which each individual is safe, known, and valued. Bancroft students and faculty are committed to honoring the dignity of the individual and the celebration of difference.
In January of 2020, the school unveiled a 5-year strategic plan, BluePrint125 — a product of extensive internal investigation and collaborative discussion among the School’s many constituents. In recent years, the School has made significant investments in campus enhancements to improve energy efficiency, air quality, and public safety; and create flexible, multi-functional spaces in the school buildings, music wing of the Performing Arts Center, and new Field House.
Bancroft School seeks an experienced Senior Accountant to enhance our team of Business Office Professionals. We are looking for a candidate that is flexible, and who welcomes a challenge and the reward of working in an academic environment. The Senior Accountant is an integral part of the Business operation, responsible for performing specialized accounting work required to maintain the School’s general ledger. The ideal candidate will be experienced in overseeing the functions of accounting, audit, and budgeting.
Major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare required documents and information for annual financial audit.
- Account for all revenue accounts inclusive of tuition, gifts and donations, and other miscellaneous revenue streams.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll entries and reconcile payroll accounts.
- Monitor daily bank activities; record automatic charges and credits; monitor cash flow to ensure fund availability.
- Reconcile all bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Perform, and review daily transactions including but not limited to, cash reconciliations, payable check runs, accounts receivable transactions, fixed asset activity, payroll, debt activity, recording of revenue and expenses, etc.
- Review account reconciliations on a monthly basis for all aspects of the financial operation
- Assist with monthly closings and the preparation of financial statements.
- Manage general ledger accounting system ensuring complete and accurate financial information and reporting.
- Provide support for the collection of Bancroft School’s accounts receivables.
- Liaison with Smart Tuition, the School’s tuition management plan.
- Post all pledges and gifts, work with Advancement Team with recordkeeping and reconciliation of donations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Three to five years of experience preferably working in an academic setting.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting.
- Ability to maintain high level of accuracy in preparing and entering financial information.
- A thorough understanding of general ledger accounting practices.
- Knowledge of operating and capital budget concepts.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate accounting, financial and service issues that are complex in nature.
- Must be able to work intuitively and independently as well as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Accounting Systems preferred.
- Must be able to report via Excel and Word and possess excellent computer skills including the ability to understand computerized accounting systems at a proficient level.
Bancroft seeks dynamic candidates who could be active participants in the community beyond the classroom, with potential interest in overseeing extracurricular activities in athletics, clubs, and activities. Bancroft is committed to cultivating and sustaining a community that embraces difference and welcomes candidates who will add to the racial and cultural diversity of our community.
Bancroft School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we subscribe to all federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination of any sort in our hiring practices.
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, personal statement, and references to email@example.com