Science Teacher, Grades 7 and 8
St. John’s Prep, Danvers, MA
About St. John’s Prep
St. John’s Prep is an inclusive, Catholic, Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School for young men in grades 6 through 12. Founded on the Xaverian values of compassion, humility, simplicity, trust, and zeal, we educate students to be, do and stand for good in the world. We enroll approximately 1,500 students from more than 90 communities in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.
Position Overview and Responsibilities
St. John’s Prep seeks a science teacher for grades 7 and 8. Grades 7 and 8 science faculty are part of an interdisciplinary team and teach two sections of seventh grade and two sections of eighth grade. The grades 7 and 8 science curriculum is based on the Next Generation Science Standards and engages students with inquiry and project-based learning in the classroom and laboratory setting. Faculty also serve as advisors to a group of grade 7 or grade 8 students. The Middle School program of study for science can be found here.
We are particularly interested in candidates with demonstrated effectiveness in interdisciplinary teaching, using technology as a vehicle for learning gains. The grade 7 theme is serve, focusing on group dynamics and community building with a particular emphasis on servant leadership. The grade 8 theme is appreciate, exploring multiculturalism and diversity with an emphasis on empathy and respect for human difference.
Skills and Competencies
- Content Expertise: Has experience teaching life and physical sciences in the middle school context.
- Communication Skills: Communicates consistently and effectively with parents, students, and colleagues.
- Inclusive Mindset: Commitment to multiculturalism and diversity that is manifested in classroom practice, communication, and curricular decisions.
- Student-Centeredness: Must display a deep appreciation for student-centered, engaging, and innovative teaching practices.
- Collegiality: Each teacher regularly collaborates with colleagues concerning best practice in an effort to meet the learning needs of all students.
- Value-Add Orientation: Must be a self-directed individual who is solution-oriented, embraces challenges, and displays a thorough work ethic. Shows a commitment to school-wide initiatives, campus involvement, committee work, and professional development.
- Enthusiastic: Finds joy in their work, a balanced perspective and enthusiasm for the daily experiences of school life.
Education and Experience
St. John’s Prep is committed to building a diverse and inclusive campus community. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups. We seek applicants who demonstrate a commitment to multiculturalism and diversity that is manifested in classroom practice, student engagement, interpersonal communication, and curricular decisions. For more information about our academic, spiritual and student life programs, please visit www.stjohnsprep.org.
Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter, résumé, and academic transcripts to Tracii Schaeublin, Assistant Head of School for Human Resources, at email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
Posted May 2023